Yukon photon are theyou any good?

Lumsden26

Hi all I'm new to here to just a quick hi to all . I'm thinking of buying a photon to go on my center fire rifle are they any good for the money ? I'm aware I'll need a better IR and any pointers on this would be welcome. Also I would like to swap between my normal scope for daytime any suggestions about mounts to fit a piccatiny rail,quick release would be ideal but would need to fit optilock mounts.

Thanks Mark

Have a look on Night Vision Uk forum ,chap called Fizzbangwallop has done a "article" linking all the what,why ,wheres in 1 useful write up.Good enough for the money yes.Can see Deer,Sheep and peeps at 100m easily ,bunnys have no chance see them clear as a bell.Not as good as a Drone pro10 but thats why theyre £1700 not 400 .

Some have issues with holding zero ,some require a lot of fettling to zero some work out the box but they are value for money .

I would be looking at an add on if I wanted to swap between NV and daytime scope. I just cant trust the zero with QD mounts, no matter how good they are or how much anyone else tells me they have no shift in POI.

Dave G is your man and his gear is mustard :good:

I would be looking at an add on if I wanted to swap between NV and daytime scope. I just cant trust the zero with QD mounts, no matter how good they are or how much anyone else tells me they have no shift in POI.

Dave G is your man and his gear is mustard :good:

+1

Ive got a adaptor on mine so a Pentax 55mm lens sits on it and a ward black sun IR torch on it ,turning a 5 x 42 into a 5 x 55 and the image quality is far superior to standard .You can put upto a 135mm lens on to get 300m range .And the best IR you can afford gives the best view as the standard laser is pants poor.

The thing to look is what you want versus what you can afford ,Daves add on is very good but if your using a top end scope you may have issues with focus there too as the super coatings and none parallax can give problems.

If you have the money the Ward D800 is very very highly rated but again it,s your budget .

Go on the N.V uk forum and search Photon Extreme they are the maxed out version and a few people swear by them

I got mine as a birthday present 18 months ago and only got it fitted on my 17hmr the past winter. I love it. The image quality isn't brilliant but I can see rabbits out to about 130/150 yds and I sat calling a fox that I could just about see at 200yds using the on board illuminator. If I was splashing the cash myself rather than buy a Yukon I'd buy a Dave G/Somebloke home build add on. He knocks them out for about £250 or less depending on your spec. And I'd get a spotter off him as well which is similar money. So for the same price as a Yukon and extra IR illuminator you get an add on and a spotter.

I'm very happy with my Yukon but I am going to have a fiddle and try and improve the image quality just because I can.

I couldn't have an add on as I have a zeiss conquest scope and the on off for the illuminator is right at the end for no room to slide the camera over.

ok well if you do go for a XT try buy local, get the warranty done, and i think 2 years? so check out asap all working ok. if you want extra I/R you could do no better than with a new TR 38 I/R torch from ludicrous lumins, mine has a lens doubler fitted !50 / 200 yards luck

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I got an XT a few weeks ago for my partners son. It worked right out of the box. I put a Tracer Led Ray on it as its for short range rabbits on an air rifle. The NM 800 is overkill for anything less than 100m. I used Sports Match adjustable rings for coarse zero and a couple of clicks on the scope to fine tune. Some shooters have run out of adjustment using other rings.

I Personally went Longbow after struggling with dedicated and add on for years. I spent years searching and trying different units...including military offerings. It's the best out there by a big margin in my experience.

I can drop foxes well beyond ranges typical for day shooting let alone at night.

The big downside is it's pricey if you want an XD4 tube or better and they are built to order, so you get to wait. I do switch it out on 3 rifles using Recknagel Picatinny QD's with no loss of zero so far.

Drone Pro has had issues from memory as well as other offerings in NV. Improvements are happening on an almost yearly basis.

IME the Yukon is a remarkable bit of kit for its price point.

Good luck

Edited by achosenman