How often do you use 4x4?

wildfowler.250

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh Xtrails not a hardy off roader, I wrote one off in April.

Front suspension components are clearly not designed to take off road abuse.

Yeah I've read that, however with the pedders suspension and the AT I'm sure will be ok for the light off reading I do..... over grass, stubble, people

Thank you though

Any 4x4 has it's limitations, low box capable makes all the difference but even so it's still easy to get stuck.

In my time I've used various 4x4s' at work, rough work pulling people and gear and towing minor plant to difficult to get to places, in quarries with car sized potholes and on jury rigged temporary site roads, some of which would curl the toes of the avid 4 wheeldrive club devotee. Despite having had a good handle on off roading and being very careful as time stuck is money lost, I've still managed to get stuck in some "interesting" places :oops:

I've had an x-trail for a couple of years now as an all rounder, work & leisure, and have no complaints, it isn't a hardy off roader but it's handled all I've asked of it for sporting use, tracks n the like, some of them quite rough but nothing the vehicle won't handle, if driven with care.

Suspension? Trick is not to make any big asks of it, stay in very low gear, pay attention to throttle control and use any momentum offered by gravity, i.e. don't stop on an incline in less than ideal conditions, but if you have to take a run at something you've over stretched it, IMO. Off road, lacking low box, at anything faster than walking pace you're making a big ask of the suspension. And, if in doubt; walk the ground first ;)

Fuel? (has never been cheaper) 38mph on variable 4x4, only ever use fixed 4x4 when things look ropey, like two wheels in the ditch and two on the top of the rut, left by a forwarder :rolleyes: