starting underfloor heating

vampire

Hi all,yes i know so i am a heating engineer/plumber,but only now getting into under floor heating systems and this is my first installation which is on daywork for a customer that i get £k of work from every year as a sort of estates manager.

Have two retro fit systems in kitchens,both would go directly onto existing floor screed with a max build up of 18mm and directly tiled over,both jobs are just under 30m2,the only difference is one is oil boiler and other is straw burner with some plumbing buried in the screed.

Have looked at three suppliers/systems so far which are,underfloor heating store blue mats,uponor rail system and solfex warm board 18mm.

Ufhstore,looks good,mats are fixed to floor with tile adhesive then tile straight over.

uponor,have some rail system that am not sure works on this floor !

solfex,have solid board that edges are screwed then boards just float on screed which are tiled over !

I prefer the ufhstore system,only as its whole area is fixed with adhesive to screed.

Just looking for advice on which system some of you guys fit and why and where from.

Thanks

Edited by vampire

Not done any like your doing, sorry can't be of anymore help. Have installed uponor in the past and it was ok.

18mm ain't much for underfloor heating, how's it going to stop pumping it's heat into the slab below and in the sub soil? Are the mats super insulating?

My current house has gyvlon liquid screed floors and it works very well with the emetti underfloor system.

By your own comments it looks like you know which is best.

Edited by figgy

Not done any like your doing, sorry can't be of anymore help. Have installed uponor in the past and it was ok.

18mm ain't much for underfloor heating, how's it going to stop pumping it's heat into the slab below and in the sub soil? Are the mats super insulating?

My current house has gyvlon liquid screed floors and it works very well with the emetti underfloor system.

By your own comments it looks like you know which is best.

Yes i do like the look of underfloorheatingstore and their solid blue mat which is fully bedded to screed,the tech guy was very helpful and the installation video made common sense.

My suppliers have emailed me quotes for the others,now going back to one so he can get me the ufhs quote.

Just wondered what others were fitting and why.

As to the the pump,the sensor will switch it when at temp and tiles will take heat quickly even on low and slow,but yes it is a draw back not having insulation in the the slab,but this particular house is not one you would want to take up floor so retro fit it has to be.

I'm not a plumber so may be well off here.

But I thought the whole point of underfloor heating and why it can work at such low temps and be economical is because it can use the whole insulated floor slab as a thermal store.

If its not got this thermal store will it not be on a lot of the time as heat is lost throu the tiles?

Like I said I'm not a plumber and its wot the client wants but would he not be cheaper just to run a more traditional radiator type system?

Or should this system stil be reasonably cheap to run even without the insulated slab?

I have installed a few different systems, although not the retro fit type, but if you get intouch with these www.ukunderfloorheating.co.uk

I'm sure they will be happy to help/quote. I have used them on the last few projects and there service has been great and very competitive, if you can get a drawing to them they will design a system to suit.

I'm still puzzled as how 18mm can work the pipe is 15 or 16mm. I'd not be wanting to fit wet system as I think under the thickness constraints cable system would work better for the time it would be on.

Have fitted elec mats with my sparks in the bathrooms i do and it gets warm but not like the wet system that is designed to be on low for a good duration of time.I know an 18mm mat and 12mm pipe is not ideal system but this is a retro fit where it would be beyond economical to lift and relay the whole oversite,this is only a kitchen and not a main living area