Any opinion on this camera?

DanBettin

http://tinyurl.com/ybpx9fg3

Obviously it's no shotkam, but they seem to be few and far between. My requirements are to slow it down (I'm assuming I need a half decent frame rate) and to edit it easily. It's only for my own use, so not expecting the world for 50 quid, but if someone has a really bad experience with them I'd rather know. They may handle the recoil terribly, for example.

If you want a Shotkam type camera, this is NO good! It has a 120 degree field of view(lens), very wide angle. The Shotkam has a 16 degree field of view, very narrow for distance viewing. If you look on the bay you can find the exact camera on your link for £20ish. You will struggle to see the clay/target with a 120 degree FOV.

I have one of these cameras and at the moment waiting for the replacement 12mm lens, i have ordered, which should give a FOV of aprrox 20 degree. If it works ok, i will put up a video of how to change the lens (5min job) and the links for the parts (which should total less than £30)

I also have one of these cameras. It's obviously wide angle, but more importantly it's not 120fps so you see the shot string for perhaps 2 frames. Also, the 'mount' is quite dodgy and requires doctoring if you don't want to damage your barrels.

All it all, it's 'usable', it doesn't do what the shotcam does, but it gives you an idea of gun placement or other movements that you shouldn't do when shooting.

I also have one of these cameras. It's obviously wide angle, but more importantly it's not 120fps so you see the shot string for perhaps 2 frames. Also, the 'mount' is quite dodgy and requires doctoring if you don't want to damage your barrels.

All it all, it's 'usable', it doesn't do what the shotcam does, but it gives you an idea of gun placement or other movements that you shouldn't do when shooting.

Hi M, did you get some footage of the ducks?

Ah, I wish I'd have seen these replies earlier! It's been delivered.

Nevertheless, I'll have a play about when I get home - if it's no good and not fit-for-purpose it will be getting sent back. Not too fussed on the shot string or crystal clear quality, as long as I overlay a crosshair on it I should be able to work out where I am with my shot (hopefully). A dodgy mount is another thing though!

SP69 that'd be fantastic if you could upload a little tutorial of how you change the lens mate, thanks.

Hmmm, not too impressed with the quality of this at all.

Very noisy (visually). I pointed it at something less than 50 yards (as that's the distance I'd need to zoom in at the shooting range) and it could barely see it - before any sort of digital zoom. Think I'll send this back.

The quest for a more accessible Shotkam continues.....

Ahhh! Another problem with these is that you cant view on real time (as you can with the WiFi ones), so if you were trying to centre the camera to the shot patter you have to guess where the camera is pointing, then record a clip and load the clip to a computer to check if its aligned. if not then adjust the positioning of the camera and go through the process again! (if you can see the pattern plate with the standard lens!)

Edited by silver pigeon69

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Hi Dan,

I did try but could not get it to focus and then became busy with other things!! I will try and source a simillar one that has wifi, so that i can view it live whilst trying to focus the lens. The wifi one will also make it so much easier to align the camera on the gun.

Agreed. Think we're flogging a dead horse with this camera, it's not the best quality at all. As with most things, you get what you pay for I guess.

Thanks for the reply mate.