POLISHING WITH CERIUM OXIDE

guinty1

I had a few very light scratches on my car windscreen, i would normally just ignore them, but they are just in my line of sight. So after a bit of googling i bought a polishing kit online that uses cerium oxide as the polishing paste. I have used said kit after watching tutorial videos on you tube. After use i examined my windscreen and it has not made any difference at all and the scratches are still there. As i have said these are really light scratches and can only be seen when the light is right. They dont catch my finger nail when i draw it across them. Has anyone on here used cerium oxide to try and polish glass scratches out and if so what success have you had. Any useful tips also welcome.

Thanks in advance

I used to work for an abrasives company and we did a glass repair kit.

Normally it's different grits of abrasive discs used on a rotary polisher to condition the scratches into a hazy appearance.

Then the paste is applied to a rigid felt pad on an electric rotary polisher spinning about 1800 rpm.

It was a bit hit and miss as until you get the glass back to a transparent state you're never sure you've got the scratches out.

Sometimes you had to start all over again with the discs then again with the polish.

Windscreens were always a pain when doing a demo as you can cause a bigger visual distraction by hollowing the glass.

Search on line for videos from a company called Mirka titled Glass Polishing.

ATB.

I was a glass engraver and stained glass artist for several years.

As has been stated, it has to be a progressive process and cerium oxide is often used for the final polishing phase. A coarse abrasive is used to remove the scratch then progressively finer grits.

It all needs to be done with a high speed polisher and water to keep the temperature down.

As has also already been said, because of the glass removed, it will probably make it worse, especially at night.