starting a lurcher

conor

hello all, started bringin my lurcher out after rabbits jus wondering how many runs is too much? she is just about a year which is probally a bit young. had her out sunday nite she was like a demon off after bunnys no problem, i slipped her on a few that were too far away really an she was nackered. my fault totally. had her out again last nite an she had no more interest than the man in the moon only going on one run half trying. is it too much too soon?

.........................you get about abit lad :unsure:

don't over do it with the young un...........................shes still a pup at the moment..........my cousin ran and ran a pup years ago through inexperience.....until in the end the bitch completely switched off and became a spent out jacker......

Let her see enough to keep her keen.......get her fittness up..plenty of road walking....and hopefully by next season you should be doing abit..

best of luck with her victory.gif

.........................you get about abit lad :unsure:

don't over do it with the young un...........................shes still a pup at the moment..........my cousin ran and ran a pup years ago through inexperience.....until in the end the bitch completely switched off and became a spent out jacker......

Let her see enough to keep her keen.......get her fittness up..plenty of road walking....and hopefully by next season you should be doing abit..

best of luck with her victory.gif

:angry::good: sure do paul! cheers for the info, actually just noticed shes a little bit lame now so maybe that had somethin to do with her bein off last nite

Not the best time of year to be running her..too mild for a start.Wait for wet windy nights.Easier to get onto rabs and it keeps the dogs cooler.

Don,t be taking her out the next night after a hard 1,she,s not a machine,but she is intelligent..she knew she was tired and therefore didn,t exert herself.

When starting pups,if possible let her watch an experienced dog,and give her a few easy runs.I would keep a pup on slip and walk as close to the rab as possible,even if they had spotted it.I would also make sure the dog and rabbit were facing the same way so when it lifts the first thing they hopefully won,t be doing is turning and looking for it.

Just a few runs a night is enough to start,try finishing on a high with a catch and lots of praise..she,ll be keen for more!

The more patient you are now,the better your dog will be for it...the last thing you want is a howler,seen them,barking out of pure frustration even when they,re catching easily.Just can,t get over their youth when they were unable to get what was running away from them.

Nice looking dog you got Connor keep us posted of her progress.

Damn i miss having a lurcher...not got the time to put into 1.

GH

The dog will tell me.

As soon as it's stopped pulling at the slip when a scut is in the beam, I know it's time to go home.

It's different for every dog and I have seen them die running, and killed one myself.

If there is any doubt go home and remember the adage, when it has a year under each leg, it's a lurcher/cur.

LB

off topic slightly..but in years gone by we trained our lurcher pups on squatters, and if they did 'open up' and 'yipideyap' on a course we'd keep them on a slip for 2 months then give them a dropper, to get them back into it.

I'll not sure but I think using droppers is illegal now in the UK but not in Ireland....................can anyone clarify this ?

off topic slightly..but in years gone by we trained our lurcher pups on squatters, and if they did 'open up' and 'yipideyap' on a course we'd keep them on a slip for 2 months then give them a dropper, to get them back into it.

I'll not sure but I think using droppers is illegal now in the UK but not in Ireland....................can anyone clarify this ?

I would say it was illegal Paul but you would have to be caught doing it.

Do you find this method effective?

LB

Yes LB..................

when we had a livley pup that 'opened up' we woud keep them on the lead and not let them see anything for 6 - 8 weeks. After this period we'd throw in a dropper or two to introduce the pup back into to easy short courses...and build them back back up that way..........back in those days we were out and out doggin lads..no ferrets..no guns...just a pack of curs......a shovel and a pair of dockers!

I found that if you didnt nip yipping in the bud immediatly, then its bloody hard to shift.

too many young-uns overdo their pups at an early age and as you know if one allows this then you'll end up with a squealer or a jacker, which is a shame cos the dogs could have potentially made the grade........ultimately its the mutts that suffer as they end up getting shifted from pillar to post.

Very informative post .

Pual it I find it interesting how you are using a dropper to quiet a dog down. We use this same technique using raccoons to get a young coonhound to be more vocal or to look up a tree. In our case we allow the hound to see the coon in the live trap, release the coon and hold the hound back once it is baying. Once the coon is just about to the tree...and will beat the dog....the hound is released in full cry. 99% of the time this will teach the hound to follow the coon up the tree, getting the hound to stand on the wood and bay. It has saved many a slow starting hounds carreer.

NTTF

Not the best time of year to be running her..too mild for a start.Wait for wet windy nights.Easier to get onto rabs and it keeps the dogs cooler.

Don,t be taking her out the next night after a hard 1,she,s not a machine,but she is intelligent..she knew she was tired and therefore didn,t exert herself.

When starting pups,if possible let her watch an experienced dog,and give her a few easy runs.I would keep a pup on slip and walk as close to the rab as possible,even if they had spotted it.I would also make sure the dog and rabbit were facing the same way so when it lifts the first thing they hopefully won,t be doing is turning and looking for it.

Just a few runs a night is enough to start,try finishing on a high with a catch and lots of praise..she,ll be keen for more!

The more patient you are now,the better your dog will be for it...the last thing you want is a howler,seen them,barking out of pure frustration even when they,re catching easily.Just can,t get over their youth when they were unable to get what was running away from them.

Nice looking dog you got Connor keep us posted of her progress.

Damn i miss having a lurcher...not got the time to put into 1.

GH

cheers for the info grasshopper, two nights in a row was too much. working on her fitness now 4 miles a day at a steady pace. is that enough? she seems fine afterwards. going to leave the rabbits till next week. will post the results cheers conor