New Project

Browning

I have space in my rifle cabinet that needs to be filled, and I fancy adding a .22 caliber to my collection.

Do any experienced lads on here have any suggestions for one of the .22 calibers which would be

suitable for modifying/tuning etc to make a long range varminting rifle?

Which makes, models, calibers are worth thinking about?

I'd prefer something with relatively easy to source reloading components, so the wildcat rounds are probably

not suitable. (Unless you know different).

I'm happy to put the time and effort into action bedding and load composition etc, but I'd like

opinions on where to start.

All advice appreciated

I would say 22.250 or the 22.250AI.

Good popular round especially the AI in custom build & there is so many action's/stock's/barrel's etc but i like Stolle action's/jewell trigger & barrel so many to choose from but that would be my start as it would just be an expensive hunting rifle depend's on you varminting range & spec.

22-250 AI

243 AI

220 swift

222 mag

221 fireball

17 ackley hornet (i think its called)

6x284

6.5x284

6mmbr

6mmppc

Some fairly large .22 calibres in that list Nick :yes:

:lol:

fair point :lol:

i didnt even think twice about puttin the 6mm's in there, they are worlds ahead of the .22's in my opinion.

But for a non-wildcat round I would probably agree with Fister - .223 fast twist rate (but be aware - high barrel burn out rates!) :lol:

Um, do they?

So I hear...definately faster than a barrel with an average twist rate...makes sense too, more friction, higher temperatures etc etc...or are you baiting me John?!?

i didnt even think twice about puttin the 6mm's in there, they are worlds ahead of the .22's in my opinion.

With you there mate! :yes:

All good stuff lads, keep it coming.

Taking it one step further, in your experience, what kind of ranges could you expect from the fast twist .223 and the .22-250 AI?

(When I mean ranges I mean comfortable accurate range assuming the man pulling the trigger is doing his job)

All good stuff lads, keep it coming.

Taking it one step further, in your experience, what kind of ranges could you expect from the fast twist .223 and the .22-250 AI?

(When I mean ranges I mean comfortable accurate range assuming the man pulling the trigger is doing his job)

300 yards wth a powerful or good scope and a good handload.

maybe more if you get really serious

Ahh - go on, go with the 22-250!! :yes:

But for a non-wildcat round I would probably agree with Fister - .223 fast twist rate (but be aware - high barrel burn out rates!) :lol:

I have never read or heard this effecting barrel life (I haven't read or heard a lot of things though)

I thought it was a speed thing. i.e. fast bullets wear the barrell out faster than the slower ones

hmmmmm..."Vegeta wonders off to do more research, because what Oly has said makes sense but Vegeta has never heard it before"

I was going to ask same question (or similar) -

I want to apply for a variation and have been considering 2 different rifles and its gonna be either a .223 or 22-250, Which do think would be better for a dedicated Foxing rifle.

I know i've got a .243 down for foxing & deer Stalking but would just like another rifle for the 1 purpose :yes:

what are your thoughts Boys (and Girls of course :lol: ).

And when people say barrel wear im guessing after throwing 1000 rounds or so down the spout the groups start to open up a little be hardly the end of the world and would take you along time to hit 1000 for a hunting gun

If my memory of my reading matter serves my right, the average is about 6000 - 9000 rounds, some go up to 12000, some as low as 1500! :lol: It all depends on the round, barrel strength, and loads - obviously the faster, higher pressure, faster twist rates create increased wear. Apparently 22-250 can be one of the worst.

Not sure about others but I reckon I will see those numbers of rounds through my guns (admitedly target & hunting). It lets you get into the exciting world of rebarreling your gun too! :yes:;):lol:

yeah the F class lads who use very hot loads like the 6.5-284 change barrels at 700 to 1000 rounds.

They can just cut an inch off the action end of the barrel and get maybe 500 more (this is why I think the twist rate is secondary to the speed of the round)

How about the WSSMs?

The 223WSSM is a super round and nowhere near the barrel burner folk believe it is - its about the same as a standard 22-250.

Remember barrel burners are only that way if you let them be.

By letting a barrel cool between shots (and I mean range type constant shooting rather than the odd shot in the field) then that will double any barrels life. Cleaning more regularly - carefully - will again add 30-50% and dropping a few fps and getting not only better accuracy (usually) will give another 40%.

So you now have a hot round with a barrel that will outlast a 30-30 - what more can you want? :yes:

Everyones opinion is very subjective Deadeye and Lilja offer a guide for those expecting target accuarcy.

Now the UK Govt expect a 10,000 round life out of their 30cal machine gun barrels and although they are nice barrels (and a friend has actually used them for bolt action rifles) they are really little different to any other.

Care and consideration for your rifle will easily double the life that others who are not so particular find they get with theirs.

Long/Extreme range hunting set up may as well be as good as a target rifle if you ask me but i know some folks are happy hitting a 4" kill zone no matter what the range ......

I read somewhere that Tikka state 6000 rds for my M595 assuming proper maintenance and correct usesage that is . :good: