fenn traps

d foxxer

hi  all  I have never been one for trapping  always preferring to wait with the nv on the .22 and give ratso the good news that way but but with work commitments and 4 30 am starts I am knackered in the evenings and don't feel much like going up the poultry pens waiting around in all weathers so I recently bought half dozen fenns and they have been catching well now they are starting to rust up abit and I was wondering if you trappers lube them up and if so what with as I don't want to use anything that will repel rats   or will rust not matter   thanks in advance for any tips   cheers foxxer

Rust will not effect them.

I have found Fenn traps not to be very effective in and around colonies. You will catch one or two, then afterwards maybe a few young ones, but the majority of the rats will avoid them after seeing the first few caught. I have found them very effective though when set to catch rats moving between sites, i.e. Along hedge rows

1 hour ago, JRDS said:

Soon to be illegal, watch you don't get caught out when that time comes.

thanks when and why are these becoming illegal  I don't have a colony just noticed  as I do every winter numbers increase a little so I thin them out a bit I keep a dozen chicken and live in the sticks surrounded by corn fields so always got a few rats around its country life they are always in good nick as the get good eats winter and summer my mate up he road on the next small holding is invaded by them but he got ducks an geese as well as chicken

http://www.ishootmag.com/features/news/stoat-traps-under-threat/

https://www.gwct.org.uk/advisory/faqs/aihts/

Based around Stoats but given you can't dicate what goes in it effects everything, a shame I have used them for years for Rats and Mink and they do a great job.  It's not a given they will be banned but looking very likely.

Edited by JRDS

1 hour ago, JRDS said:

http://www.ishootmag.com/features/news/stoat-traps-under-threat/

https://www.gwct.org.uk/advisory/faqs/aihts/

Based around Stoats but given you can't dicate what goes in it effects everything, a shame I have used them for years for Rats and Mink and they do a great job.  It's not a given they will be banned but looking very likely.

thankyou for posting this info  if they bring in a ban I will go back to the nv/.22lr combo was fixing to buy more fenns  but think I may hold off for the time being

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:18, 30-6 said:

For lubricating you can use a plain candle rubbed over it. It contains tallow I believe which they will eat.

If this banning is introduced, I think it means that you can not set to deliberately try to catch stoat, so if set in a " ratty" area all is ok.

my area is not stoaty lucky to see one once a year my mate up the road hundred yards opened up his call ducks one morning last year and a stoat ran out the door way too big for a weasel but it had got thru a hole in one corner not much bigger than a 2 quid coin it had murderd all 9 call ducks almost decapitating them not seen one since but he got a brigade of rats to contend with