Merseyside Shotgun Grant

ADT06

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone knows how long Merseyside are taking on average for Shotgun grants. 

Application was posted 3 months ago, had interview 5 weeks ago, and not had any sign of it arriving. Rang up and they said it was just in a pile waiting to be looked at by the manager. 

No convicitons, no speeding tickets, no medical issues, cabinet inspected at Interview, and the interview went well with no concerns. 

I’m itching to get going now, and get some practice in before having any more lessons.

Thanks for any responses!

Adam

Edited by ADT06

My renewal 24 months ago and about 4-5 months wait, paperwork went in, short phone call from the team and feo visit and all sorted. I know at that time they had had significant cuts in resources within team, Yes can be lengthy however i have always found them professional and quick to deal with any queries. Feo a pleasure to deal with i my personal experience.

atb

7diaw

1 minute ago, 7daysinaweek said:

My renewal 24 months ago and about 4-5 months wait, paperwork went in, short phone call from the team and feo visit and all sorted. I know at that time they had had significant cuts in resources within team, Yes can be lengthy however i have always found them professional and quick to deal with any queries. Feo a pleasure to deal with i my personal experience.

atb

7diaw

Sounds like it may be January time that I get mine then. They have been very polite and professional so far, just expected that once you had your interview all of the background work had been done beforehand and the interview was the final step before sending it off for signing/approval.

Do you know big the Merseyside team is?

Adam

Hi Adam 

I know the team had had significant almost draconian cuts to its resources and the man/women power was more than halved. Merseyside cover a massive licensing area and told almost always a backlog working through. Similar stories from license holders all over the country, as said i have always had a very professional service from them. You never know it could drop on the mat at anytime, what a great Crimbo prezzy and your wallet may be lighter much sooner than you think with any luck.

atb

7diaw

Would be a fantastic Christmas present - especially as I have a deposit on my first gun. Really wish it was all done online though so you could see where it was up to, or they would give at least some “Service Level Agreement” as to how long it should take - some people’s, take 6 weeks, others 6 months, often in the same police force! 

I heard Merseyside had one of the lowest number of licence holders in the country do you would think they would have less to deal with.

Edited by ADT06

8 hours ago, ADT06 said:

Think I’m going to give them a call on Monday just to catch up with where it’s at - just frustrating either way!

Hm.  May I suggest that you think for a moment.

Telephone calls have to be answered and dealt with as appropriate.

Answering the call takes the person off the ask that they were on, thus delaying it.  Multiply the delay by several calls a day and eventually it results in certificates being delayed.  An email would be almost as effective and can be dealt with quickly and efficiently.

I have contact with Merseyside Firearms dept. on a regular basis about various issues.

The department is doing everything that it can to improve the service that it offers.  Officers have retired and quickly been replaced.  One retired officer has returned as a civilian on a part time basis.

I understand that a major component of the delay is caused by external departments to whom the file is sent for investigation and report.  These departments have also seen staff levels cut, and other work sometimes takes priority.

It's good to see replies from other Merseyside shooters

I wondered if any of you have visited the Norgas Gun & Cartridge shop in St. Helens   http://www.norgascartridges.co.uk

or Rixton & Astley Shooting Club near Leigh.   http://www.astleygunclub.co.uk

webber

Edited by webber

25 minutes ago, webber said:

Hm.  May I suggest that you think for a moment.

Telephone calls have to be answered and dealt with as appropriate.

Answering the call takes the person off the ask that they were on, thus delaying it.  Multiply the delay by several calls a day and eventually it results in certificates being delayed.  An email would be almost as effective and can be dealt with quickly and efficiently.

I have contact with Merseyside Firearms dept. on a regular basis about various issues.

The department is doing everything that it can to improve the service that it offers.  Officers have retired and quickly been replaced.  One retired officer has returned as a civilian on a part time basis.

I understand that a major component of the delay is caused by external departments to whom the file is sent for investigation and report.  These departments have also seen staff levels cut, and other work sometimes takes priority.

It's good to see replies from other Merseyside shooters

I wondered if any of you have visited the Norgas Gun & Cartridge shop in St. Helens   http://www.norgascartridges.co.uk

or Rixton & Astley Shooting Club near Leigh.   http://www.astleygunclub.co.uk

webber

I understand your point. They don’t want to cause the delay, they are trying to fulfill a role with too little men on the ground essentially meaning timescales begin to slip and applications get longer.

At the minute I’m giving them a call once every 2 weeks - but will try emailing them like you say so that I’m not taking them off of their work. 

Hopefully at some point nationally they recognise the issue, and try to make the process more efficient and less time consuming so a reduced staff can cope better with the workload.

Not visited Norgas, or astley - are they places you go to regularly, or not been before? 

23 minutes ago, ADT06 said:

I understand your point. They don’t want to cause the delay, they are trying to fulfill a role with too little men on the ground essentially meaning timescales begin to slip and applications get longer.

At the minute I’m giving them a call once every 2 weeks - but will try emailing them like you say so that I’m not taking them off of their work. 

Hopefully at some point nationally they recognise the issue, and try to make the process more efficient and less time consuming so a reduced staff can cope better with the workload.

Not visited Norgas, or astley - are they places you go to regularly, or not been before? 

I run both establishments.

You would be made welcome.

I will be arranging a North West Pigeon Watch Members Christmas Gathering as I did last year.

Ill crack on and do the write up.

Hopefully you will be able to make it.

webber

1 hour ago, webber said:

I run both establishments.

You would be made welcome.

I will be arranging a North West Pigeon Watch Members Christmas Gathering as I did last year.

Ill crack on and do the write up.

Hopefully you will be able to make it.

webber

Sounds good - I’m still very green, only had 6 lessons, so got lots of basics and practice left in front of me before I’ll be a decent shot! 

Will keep an eye out and endeavour to pop along.

Adam

Just spoke to Janet Jones who is the manager at Merseyside - very nice lady, and the first time I have spoken to her. She said that they are just getting onto June 2017 applications. The current wait time is exactly what Webber said being average 6 months for grants. 

They are looking at getting some help/extra manpower soon to help improve this, however for the minute it looks like it will be another 3 months until I will receive my certificate (so likely March 2018). 

Was hoping I would be one of the lucky few who get there’s fairly quickly, and when I got my interview after less than 2 months I thought I would have my certificate much quicker than anticipated - however its now confirmed that I’m in the unlucky pack waiting half a year plus! Not their fault at all in the licensing department as they are clearly stretched, but nonetheless frustrating missing out on another 3 months of practice whilst I wait!  

On a side note I emailed the PCC for Merseyside and asked if there was anything they could do to support the department more to reduce the excessive waiting times. I have seen that other counties have released funding, or made the process for efficient to help reduce the waiting period - I know that it’s unlikely to result in anything, but I suppose if you don’t ask and say you aren’t happy then the chance of Merseyside Firearms Licensing getting any much needed help is reduced. 

Anyway, moan over. Now back to the waiting! 

Kind Regards to all,

Adam