question for pest controllers about rat poison

paul1966

long story short we have rats under the shed, been using raco blocks in bait stations that have been eaten, started using rodex loose grain bait 3 days ago that i have been pouring under the shed near the holes, so far two packets both 100g each have been eaten completely, put another 100g down tonight. looking on the web a 10g dose is enough to be lethal so if all the bait has been eaten tomorrow then 300g total has been took. do i continue to put the loose bait down or do i wait a couple of days before re baiting, as the bait takes a few days to take effect am  i in effect baiting the walking dead?

Yes keep baiting up until they stop taking it, if your using loose baits pop it in a freezer bag and tie it off stuff it down the rat holes back fill if req to prevent none target species eating it. Would be a good idea also to keep bait topped up and check on a regular basis as other rats will prob move back in some time in the future.             

I think if there keeping eating it keep feeding them . but you need to break the cycle there getting food and shelter where they are  remove one and they should move on , Another thought i like all my sheds a foot  plus off the ground to let air and a terrier under them  is your raised up at all ?.

the shed is on a concrete slab the same size as the shed and its also sitting on wood fence posts so its raised about 4 inches the rats are under the slab, just checked the loose poison and its only about 50% eaten so hopefully its starting to take effect, not put anymore down will keep an eye on whats left.

Poison usually takes about five plus days to kick in so more bait then necessary for a lethal dose will be eaten and taken away. If you keep the bait down after the rats are dead you’ll most probably just start killing the mice that’ll move in, which is just a waste of time and money and a danger to other creatures through secondary poisoning.

26 minutes ago, feaks said:

Poison usually takes about five plus days to kick in so more bait then necessary for a lethal dose will be eaten and taken away. If you keep the bait down after the rats are dead you’ll most probably just start killing the mice that’ll move in, which is just a waste of time and money and a danger to other creatures through secondary poisoning.

Mice need a different poison ad they digest it that fast, learnt that one years ago when having mice problems!