Sign in to follow this  
walshie

Pepto Bismol for dogs

The other night my ridgeback had explosive diarrhea and she was vomiting brown liquid too. Normally we give dogs like this chicken and rice for a couple of days till it clears up, but she wasn't eating anything at all so didn't have the chance. As ridgebacks need to be properly ill to refuse food we booked a vets appointment. 

Took her to the vets yesterday and he gave her an anti-sickness jab, an antibiotic jab and a course of pills. He said when she started eating again (today) to put a spoon of pepto-bismol on her food for a few days. I didn't think human remedies were good for dogs. He said next time either of them have an upset stomach, try that first. :good:

A lot of medication is the same for pets as it is for humans. Only some medicines aren't suitable because of the way they are metabolised differently in cats or dogs to humans. The dose levels sometimes have to be smaller because they stay in the system longer in pets. 

Drug research is done in animals, so their must be a fair bit of compatability.

7 minutes ago, walshie said:

The other night my ridgeback had explosive diarrhea and she was vomiting brown liquid too. Normally we give dogs like this chicken and rice for a couple of days till it clears up, but she wasn't eating anything at all so didn't have the chance. As ridgebacks need to be properly ill to refuse food we booked a vets appointment. 

Took her to the vets yesterday and he gave her an anti-sickness jab, an antibiotic jab and a course of pills. He said when she started eating again (today) to put a spoon of pepto-bismol on her food for a few days. I didn't think human remedies were good for dogs. He said next time either of them have an upset stomach, try that first. :good:

Hope I don't get heartburn tonight or I'll be fighting the dog for it. 

She was voted "Dog most likely to have your face off" for the last few years running, but she's poorly at the moment so it'd be close.