A1 shooting ground

Only been to this one once........a very good ground but what I remember from it is a seriously hard high bird platform that shoots a clay out from about 300 miles...i took a few shots at it but(like a big girly wimp) gave up after a while as I felt I wasn'y even getting near it....does anyone know which one I mean...and does anyone hit the damn thing.......

Only been to this one once........a very good ground but what I remember from it is a seriously hard high bird platform that shoots a clay out from about 300 miles...i took a few shots at it but(like a big girly wimp) gave up after a while as I felt I wasn'y even getting near it....does anyone know which one I mean...and does anyone hit the damn thing.......

if the tower was a long way out the clay would have slowed considerably

high towers can be very decieving

a bird passing overhead looks a bloody long way up but think 120 foot is only 40 yards and if it has slowed down you would probably overlead it.

next time just try blotting it out and dont be tempted to peep down the side of the gun to see if you.ve hit it

you might be suprised.

It is hittable, shooting there with Pin I think I got 6 or 7 out of 10 on it. It needs quite a lot of lead to my eye it was about 15 feet but everyone sees it differently. As I said, Pin and I went back to it to use up the last clays on our card. Pin was using 1/4 choke (his extended Rhinos) but I preferred 1/2.

I think with that target the main problem is not shooting over the top / underneath. Because it presents itself as a very small target I think people are tempted to try and rifle the line rather than remembering how wide the pattern will be at that range.

It's not that far, I wouldn't say it's anything more than 40yds.

That day with gully I shot terribly, got my **** well and truly kicked. It could have been on the end of my barrels I would have missed it that day :good:

The big man just doesn't miss much. Reading about his world all round win, the 800 bird all gauge multi discipline thing in the states, quite amazing that bloke.

As for the A1 I can't say I like the place, Teresa is fantastic and makes great food but the sporting there is an afterthought around trap/ZZ

I'm afraid there are very few decent grounds in our area, I reckon to have to travel about an hour and a half to reach a decent ground like Southdown, Kibworth or Honesberie.

Hornet and Weston Wood are worth a go.

I don't bother with the A1 anymore, as Pin says, it's a Trap ground with great food on offer, It's a pity that the guy that's supposed to be running the Sporting side hasn't got a clue.

Cat.

Garyb, where do you go? I'm near St Albans too, and bored with A1 & Broomhills

Pin you're very modest, but I don't remember there being much in it and I'm guessing it'll be a long time before I beat you again :good:

Mostly invites these days to club shoots.

Or Broomhills as its local, and I can shoot by myself.

Redbournbury is pretty good.

http://www.redbournbury-fishery.co.uk/inde...les/Page741.htm

Do we need to organize a Hertfordshire meet ?!?! :lol:

Yeah me and my father dont go to A1 anymore either, we used to go quite alot till the guy who does the sporting targets started having a go at me about spent cartridges,even though theres cartridges all over the floor from other people ! and i shoot an autoi still picked up my cases that were in the vicinity of the box not the ones out in the long grass mind you, anyway one afternoon he sent the boy out to where i was shooting and he stood behind us glaring and goes pick your ******* cases up and was squaring up to me for a fight and everything, we just told him to go away and we left, never been spoken too or treated like that at any other shoot EVER!!

Yeah me and my father dont go to A1 anymore either, we used to go quite alot till the guy who does the sporting targets started having a go at me about spent cartridges,even though theres cartridges all over the floor from other people ! and i shoot an autoi still picked up my cases that were in the vicinity of the box not the ones out in the long grass mind you, anyway one afternoon he sent the boy out to where i was shooting and he stood behind us glaring and goes pick your ******* cases up and was squaring up to me for a fight and everything, we just told him to go away and we left, never been spoken too or treated like that at any other shoot EVER!!

Funnily enough, I've had the same experience.

They weren't even my shells.

I don't know Claudio personally but I know who he is and see him about down there. Every time I walk past him he's never smiled and I get the feeling that sporting shooters are an annoyance to him for some reason.

Just my opinion, I might have it all wrong..

Claudio is actually a very nice guy once you get to know him, but he is a dedicated Olympic Trap shooter and knows very little about Sporting.

I'm afraid he's backed the wrong horse by taking on the current (ex Broomhills) resident Sporting "Expert", it's a pity because with the right person running it Claudio would be making a lot more money.

They have serious noise problems there with people like Tony Blackburn, (yes, that ageing DJ), complaining to Barnet council, and I know that they have been to court several times. I'm not sure what the current situation is, but I doubt whether the ground has a long term future.

Cat.

I go to A1 most weeks and still enjoy it, but I'm still a relative newcomer. But that high tower midi is a swin to hit and can be quite dispiriting. They've also taken out some of the better targets recently and replaced them with ones that seem to break a lot of clays on launch or are so unpredictable that you give up.

But I've yet to find a better ground within a reasonably distance of Harrow. The West London targets one is OK but irritating to get to from where I am.

Is Claudio the tallish, quite thin, balding guy who drives around the place in a Merc estate? if so, then I've never seen him smile either.

humberside shooting ground is the same they dont like auto's so why do they take our money

they are forever moaning about spent cartridges the ultimate answer is stuff em.

• 5 months later...
Garyb, where do you go? I'm near St Albans too, and bored with A1 & Broomhills

Pin you're very modest, but I don't remember there being much in it and I'm guessing it'll be a long time before I beat you again :good:

Mostly invites these days to club shoots.

Or Broomhills as its local, and I can shoot by myself.

Redbournbury is pretty good.

http://www.redbournbury-fishery.co.uk/inde...les/Page741.htm

Do we need to organize a Hertfordshire meet ?!?! :lol:

Bear in mind that trap shooters don't smile. It's not in the genetic make-up.

We're far too busy working out the next silly grunt to release the clays, and the next excuse for why we missed them despite the new high pitched squeal of "pull" of which we were initially so proud...

I realise now I mean wayne not claudio, I've never met him and apologise profusely for mixing the two up!

Teresa is great and I am sure Claudio is too, Wayne is a miserable ***. Example me and garyb showed up with an hour to shoot, joked with Teresa about leaving it late and only paid for 100 birds between us, all smiles. Got out there, 30 minutes to go and were confronted by Wayne "HOW MANY MORE HAVE YOU, LEAVING IT BLOODY LATE ARE YOU??"

Miserable ****.