Trail cam boxed as new

speaky

5 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

Certain wavelengths of light are visible to the animals. I think 850 gives off a faint glow but the 940 is pretty much invisible, or vice versa. I think that’s what you are asking anyway. 

Spot on.

Older models used 850nm illumination which gave off a feint red glow. Didn't seem to spook animals much, although they can definitely see it, but it's also visible to humans .Not ideal if you are trying to conceal the camera and can lead to vandalism or theft of the camera.

Newer models use the 940nm illumination which is invisible to animals and humans alike but doesn't have as much range as the 850 wavelength.No big deal as most  shots are probably taken around 5m or so which is well in range of both types.

I see the point about other people seeing the cameras if trying to be covert. But spooking the wildlife,for me  it's too late the photos taken. 

But thanks for the info. I thought they called them "Black light"

Spooking the wildlife is more of a concern when the camera is taking a video.

TBH I never use the single shot photo mode as there are too many times when a shot is taken but no animal image is captured.............better to take a video and see what is wandering in and out of view. You can get a lot of false alarms created by things such as wind on branches/leaves, mice, moths, snow falling.