The Bushcraft Store

wymberley

I'm  mightily impressed with this outfit. Now, they're absolutely no good to you if they don't keep what you want, but if they do, then I'm finding them hard to beat. I placed an order today at 14:52 which they acknowledged and at 16:51 informed me that it had been dispatched. From previous experience, I'll be very surprised if I don't get it in tomorrow's post. The delivery charges are minimal compared to some for similar goods.

I've been buying other products but took a shufti at a range of knives - the Boar from the TBS range. I took a punt and got the non locking folder in curly birch. Not being stupid, I turned around and quickly ordered the locking version - today's order. Anyone looking for a decent knife at a very favourable price when you consider this (price) and the quality of something compatible from the "names" makes these worthy of a look see. If you do and read the reviews, you'll get an idea of what I mean.

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/tbs-boar-folding-lock-knife---curly-birch---mkii-12555-p.asp

Edited by wymberley
Link added

48 minutes ago, spandit said:

Does look like a great knife. Tempted by one myself but I already have quite a few and don't want to be a collector

Yep, I agree. I've just given my son a very nice Otter EDC stag handle and moves are afoot to sell off a   Spyderco Native 5 and A Buck folding Kalinga Pro but can't bring myself to lose the Puma Duke.

On 31/07/2018 at 19:37, wymberley said:

Yep, I agree. I've just given my son a very nice Otter EDC stag handle and moves are afoot to sell off a   Spyderco Native 5 and A Buck folding Kalinga Pro but can't bring myself to lose the Puma Duke.

Those older Pumas are superb knives.  I have a 777 sport, with the button lock, and she and I will never be parted.

On 31/07/2018 at 17:51, wymberley said:

I'm  mightily impressed with this outfit. Now, they're absolutely no good to you if they don't keep what you want, but if they do, then I'm finding them hard to beat. I placed an order today at 14:52 which they acknowledged and at 16:51 informed me that it had been dispatched. From previous experience, I'll be very surprised if I don't get it in tomorrow's post. The delivery charges are minimal compared to some for similar goods.

I've been buying other products but took a shufti at a range of knives - the Boar from the TBS range. I took a punt and got the non locking folder in curly birch. Not being stupid, I turned around and quickly ordered the locking version - today's order. Anyone looking for a decent knife at a very favourable price when you consider this (price) and the quality of something compatible from the "names" makes these worthy of a look see. If you do and read the reviews, you'll get an idea of what I mean.

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/tbs-boar-folding-lock-knife---curly-birch---mkii-12555-p.asp

Just in case anyone else is thinking of having a punt on these, hang slack. Will advise further when I get more info.

7 hours ago, wymberley said:

Just in case anyone else is thinking of having a punt on these, hang slack. Will advise further when I get more info.

As said, I'm sold on the TBS Boar non locking folder as an EDC. Apart from the facts that it is superbly made with a razor edge and as silly as it sounds it's also extremely tactile in the curly birch. But it was the blade and overall quality of this knife that caused me to order the locking version. Problem. From all of the points just mentioned, this is not in the same league. I was very lucky not to lose a finger or two - yep, the quality of the blade is the exception to my last remark. I had opened it to the stop and was having a gawp when it started to close on me. Being a lock knife fitted with a kwik thumb stud, the blade pivots with very little effort. The lock is the liner type so had a look at my Buck and compared them. Opening the TBS and hearing the locking 'click' I turned it over so that the edge was uppermost and gently tapped the back of the blade on my desk - it started to close. On inspection, unlike the Buck which was fully covered by the blade, the liner on the TBS had only engaged the blade by a thou' or two. Had it been a shotgun, it would have been relying on the intercepting sear if one was fitted.

I kept my cards close to my chest until I found out what the Store was going to do about it. They couldn't have been fairer to me although this does warrant some investigation I fancy. Consequently once satisfied with their response and really fancying something which is safe to use if the field and having lost confidence in this particular type, I've changed my order to a fixed blade - Lynx Neck Knife again in Curly Birch with a multi carry sheath. Better luck this time one hopes.

Edited by wymberley

Well, it's often said that one's first impression is usually valid.. The returned knife was received at 11:13 on Friday and 24 hours less 9 minutes the replacement one arrived with me. Anyone doing a review would be obliged to point out that the handle might be a tad small for someone with large hands. Fair enough. However, for me, all I'm going to say - I understand that this is the in vogue expression that suits - is "WOW".