tree surgeon,s

gemini52

Just wondering with the polarding chestnut, has it be pollarded before?

Might not affect yourself (no idea how long u intend to live there) but once u pollard a tree u have to keep on doing it regularly, if not the limbs will eventually become too big and heavy for the poor joint at the pollard point and snap off.

Repollarding long overdue chestnuts can be a nightmare and dangerous as quite a brittle timber that will break out on u and u might be tied in above the pollard point so in dodgy timber strength wise

I dont think so. The chap who came round seems very knowledgeable. The tree is about 50 -60 years old and has a bad case of canker. Its close to the house (but not close enough to land on it) and one of three (not planning to touch the other two) with an ash tree at each end forming a line between my front lawn and the common. The tree chap said that there is lots of life in the tree but it is quite badly diseased. I want to reduce it in size as some of the branches are very large and it overshadows the lawn and the new hedge line that i have put in. There is a large lake over the way and the wind can be quite strong so I wanted to reduce the overall weight of the tree given its general condition, rather than take it down and spoil the line. the other two adjacent chesnuts are maybe 20 years younger. He did say that when they go they go. On the other chesnut I wanted him to take down a large fork that overhangs the car park but he felt that this would unbalance the tree and thinning would be better to reduce its sail area.

12 hours ago, oowee said:

He did say that when they go they go. On the other chesnut I wanted him to take down a large fork that overhangs the car park but he felt that this would unbalance the tree and thinning would be better to reduce its sail area.

well he sounds like he knows his stuff, Some of the work done in the houses near me are shocking no balance at all.

I'm a bit rough and ready and more a tree butcher than surgeon nowadays but only climb my own trees now.

Usually a new pollard is a last resort and not really best practice, but if ur tree has canker it may well be the only option.

When u take the top off the tree the new growth will grow away quickly and off a weak union to the tree (no true grain running down into main stem) so by rights every so often u will have to repollard the tree. Might be every 5,10 or even 15 years, depending wot hieght the pollard is u might be able to do it urself with a ladder and lopers which would b well worthwhile doing if possible as its easy to let them get away to become a big jobs (bit like lyandi hedges) and once out of control becomes a problem

Might be worth assking him? He will most likely be right it might be the only option but just asl about any long term mainetance in the future