Variable temp and time thermostat?

sandspider

Hi all

Our ancient analogue thermostat is getting tired. I'm wanting to replace it with one where we can set different temps for different times of day. (E.g. 14c overnight, 18c during the day- but without needing to manually adjust the thermostat). Current stat is on or off only, manual temp setting. Don't need any zones or internet control (though the latter may be useful occasionally I suppose) Is there a thermostat I can just replace the old one with to do this, or is there more to it? Don't think I need a full hive type system...

Thank you.

We had a wireless one from screwfix. A horstmann i think. It was about 70 quid. Easy to set and if you wanted to bump up the temp anytime you could. It would then go back to normal operation when it hit the next program. 

Should be plenty about. Not too difficult to wire in. 

I went for the Salus which works brilliantly.   needs batteries but as they last about 2/3 years this ids not a problem.

6 time slots for change - we run 0600 0900 @ 17.5  

then to  1200            16

then to  1330            17.5

then to  1700             16

then to  2230            18

then to 0600               13

Also if you need to boost at any time the device reverts to programme at the next change

They now do a remote one as well.  Mount the base station and place your stat where you want without having to wire.

37 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I went for the Salus which works brilliantly.   needs batteries but as they last about 2/3 years this ids not a problem.

6 time slots for change - we run 0600 0900 @ 17.5  

then to  1200            16

then to  1330            17.5

then to  1700             16

then to  2230            18

then to 0600               13

Also if you need to boost at any time the device reverts to programme at the next change

They now do a remote one as well.  Mount the base station and place your stat where you want without having to wire.

This but a very good inexpensive option, if you buy the Altech brand from Grahams there the same just rebadged for them, and come with a 5yr warranty. 

31 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Thanks chaps, this all sounds good. Remote stat sounds like a neat touch as our house doesn't heat evenly at all.

Presumably a fairly straightforward swap for the existing (old, dial type) thermostat? I'm ok with electrics, but don't want to ****** anything up...

Normal is a straight swap for the switch line.

The remote requires 240 v , however you could put the base next to the gang box for the heating. you could even parallel the switch lines and use both.

Ah, wait. It's a bit more complicated. I also have an ufh central heating circuit. This is on the same time clock, but a different thermostat. I don't mind leaving the ufh on its current stat and clock and just move the main radiator Ch to the new ones.  But I'm guessing this might actually be more difficult than replacing the time clock completely? Time clock and the old thermostat are in different rooms. Hmm.

Got ya- so I can keep the existing time clock, replace just the thermostat, and the thermostat will be able to specify different temperatures at different times, without involving the time clock? (Well, the time clock will need to specify the heating comes on at 7am and off at 9am or whatever, but the stat can say 20C from 7am to 8am and 18c from 8am to 9am?)

Thanks again for your help on this.

15 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Got ya- so I can keep the existing time clock, replace just the thermostat, and the thermostat will be able to specify different temperatures at different times, without involving the time clock? (Well, the time clock will need to specify the heating comes on at 7am and off at 9am or whatever, but the stat can say 20C from 7am to 8am and 18c from 8am to 9am?)

Thanks again for your help on this.

Or put the time clock on and let the stat do the day's control is what I do - it is easier to maintain heat in a structure than to turn off and then reheat

Mine's called "Nest". Easy to install, It's "paired" with the boiler. It only requires a low voltage supply. It can be installed in a permanent position or powered via a normal 13 amp socket. You can control it with your mobile phone which is great when you've been away, say on holiday, so you can switch on before you get home so the house is warm by the time you arrive home. I think British gas have their own version which they install for free if you're a customer