Amateur gunsmithing

njc110381

Now I've got this new Baikal home I decided to have the stock off to see what goes on inside the action. What surprised me most is that there's not a lot in there! I found the auto safety linkage (just a little bar held in place by nothing more than it having no space to fall off into), which has always been an annoying feature to me, and removed it. I never realised it would be that simple. I never fancied getting a screwdriver to my £1k+ Beretta for obvious reasons, but now I know it's not going to end up in a pile of tiny pieces on the floor (a memory of a Crosman 2100 I had as a teen!) never to be seen together again I may do that gun too. I always worried about the safety issue of messing with something I didn't understand, but as long as nothing else is touched I really can't see a problem with it. I'm quite pleased I looked now, no auto safety to worry about any more! I can just carry the gun open and shut it quickly when something appears, which to me is safer than relying on mechanical means with your gun shut :blush:

Unless you get it very wet or experience any problems with your Beretta the stock can stay on for many many thousands of cartridges, there is really nothnig to be done in there. Just normal barrel cleaning and popping the ejectors out every once in a while is good enough.

Unless you get it very wet or experience any problems with your Beretta the stock can stay on for many many thousands of cartridges, there is really nothnig to be done in there. Just normal barrel cleaning and popping the ejectors out every once in a while is good enough.

Apart from the auto safety, that drives me nuts! I think safety catches should be banned! They can't be relied on 100%, so what's the point trusting it at all?

Apart from the auto safety, that drives me nuts! I think safety catches should be banned! They can't be relied on 100%, so what's the point trusting it at all?

for obvious legal reasons manufacturers have to put them on, the fact, as you rightly say Neil, they cant be relied on is something we as " profesional gun handlers" are very aware of and act accordingly, one of my pet hates is a guy with a loaded gun and a safety set on closed barrels/action, what an accident waiting to happen.

sounds like your having fun playing with the toys though, as said the beretta will differ big time inside than your baikel, as to not taking the stock off, i would once a season, again you'l be suprised how much crud **** dust and debris gets in there, always worth a look and a clean. :blush:

Martin

Well I took the stock off of the Beretta to take a look, and it looks pretty clean at the moment. The safety mech is also completely different to the Baikal. It looks like you have to take a bit of the other stuff out to get to it, so I'm keeping on the safe side and leaving it alone. Everything inside is better machined though, all smooth and rounded unlike the Baikal. That looks like it's had all it's parts cut out of old bean tins with a hacksaw! :blush:

earlier Baikels were produced very cheaply, a lot of pressed componentry, dont knock it thought they work, the old saying of "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID " stands the test of time, the sheer magnitude in quality difference is very apparent when looking into a high end gun to a baikel, i remember working on a trigger group from a MX8 years back, the attention to detail is in your face the moment you look at it.

Martin

when you looking to flight the pond Neil, i have a lot of toys waiting for you :blush::blush:

earlier Baikels were produced very cheaply, a lot of pressed componentry, dont knock it thought they work, the old saying of "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID " stands the test of time, the sheer magnitude in quality difference is very apparent when looking into a high end gun to a baikel, i remember working on a trigger group from a MX8 years back, the attention to detail is in your face the moment you look at it.

Martin

when you looking to flight the pond Neil, i have a lot of toys waiting for you :blush::blush:

I'm not certain yet. It depends on when Neil can get some free time from work. It's looking like sometime in November, to include the 11th, but I'm just waiting for the final word before I buy tickets. I'm really looking forward to the trip, you guys have some great toys over there that us UK shooters can only dream of! I'm thinking I should do an experiment to see how many rounds Neils Glock can handle before the slide melts, not sure what he'll think of that mind :blush:

I'm not certain yet. It depends on when Neil can get some free time from work. It's looking like sometime in November, to include the 11th, but I'm just waiting for the final word before I buy tickets. I'm really looking forward to the trip, you guys have some great toys over there that us UK shooters can only dream of! I'm thinking I should do an experiment to see how many rounds Neils Glock can handle before the slide melts, not sure what he'll think of that mind ???

im certain you could put a few through it without worry, lets see you try that with my .50" ,,,,,, a few have tried :no::no:

looking forward to you coming out my friend, see if we can match the bacon butties we had at Mendip :rolleyes::lol:

Martin

im certain you could put a few through it without worry, lets see you try that with my .50" ,,,,,, a few have tried :no::no:

looking forward to you coming out my friend, see if we can match the bacon butties we had at Mendip :rolleyes::lol:

Martin

If you think I'm touching that cannon of yours you're having a laugh buddy! I may try it if you don't mind, but only at the end of the holiday. I don't want to get all battered before I've enjoyed myself a little! I'm really looking forward to shooting with you again, I never have been that bothered about losing so it'll be fun! I've never even seen an auto like yours apart from on TV, is it a Desert Eagle? That big silver thing? :no:

As for the stock on the Midland, take off the butt pad and there should be a long hole into the stock. Shine a torch up there and see what size screw/nut is on there and undo it with the suitable tool ???