Gun buyers beware of new auto's

starlight32

Thought I would drop you all a line to let you all know.............

I picked up a new auto last week- Browning Pheonix 3.5". The new 30" model finishes at a length of 1345mm.

Most standard gun cabinets (with/without a lock top/shelf) finish with storage of 1308-1325mm

Luckily it was not a problem for me, as I had another older tall cabinet. I spoke with the RFD who was also unaware of the size increase- which will in fact make virtually all cabinets from Brattonsound etc obsolete, unless you don't mind taking the barrel off!!

He did some research and apparently all the actions on all new manufactured auto's chambered for 3.5" will be slightly longer for higher required proofing for heavy high speed steel shot loads.

Stand it next to my 30" Beretta o/u and the gun is 6 & 1/2" longer.

Anyway I won't have to worry about taking a shot at the close up stuff- I'll just swing through and clobber them with it......

I had the same trouble with my Xtrema, it just fits if I put it in barrel down so it digs into the foam base a little more! If it doesn't go, I have a Brattonsound safe with a locktop. If you put the gun in sideways and lean it in the corner in front of the locktop, the door still shuts. Be really careful if you try it, I shut it very gently the first time I tried it just in case. I'd hate for someone to squash their barrel following my advice, so if you do try it, shut the door really slowly/gently! :rolleyes: