Fly rod

Walker570

This 5ft 7 inch split cane fly rod was made for me on order by a rod maker in Ashborne, now retired. It is a delightful little wand throwing a #2 or #3 line perfectly and ideal for exploring those nooks and crannies other rod users find difficult but which often hold a fish or two.  It comes with a choice of a rare #2651 Shakespeare magnesium fly reel which is loaded with a #2 double tapered line. Don't shake your head at this little reel, Shakespeare made very few of them and they were not cheap or easily available at the time. I have two , the one shown and a slightly large model #3 or 4 line md 2852 .

I enquired at the Royal Show at the Shakespeare stand about buying a second one and the Director said he had only one left as they would not make any more, when I told him I already had one, he said to call at the factory as the one he had was actually sitting on his office desk.

With the real/line included I will accept  £250 for the rod, the rod on it's own £200 collected, plus shipping obviously.

The rod has been hung in a loose cover/bag when not in use and is straight.

I travel every week or so between my home in west Leicestershire to the Bourne/Stamford district, via Melton Mowbray or the outskirts of Leicester and could drop this off on route no problem.

I would love someone to have it who would care for it as I have and enjoy using it as I have. It is a great shame for it to hang here not doing what it was intended for.  Hence the reasonable price.

To be clear it does not normally reside on the top of that tapestry, it was the only place I could put it to show its length.

1802.jpg

1804.jpg

Shame, I have a copy of ‘Fishing Rods & Tackle - Anglers Guide of Foster Bros.’ From the early 1970’s. This was essentially, their angling catalogue. Unfortunately, I don’t have the price list, which they had just started printing separately to make it easier to update prices.

It is a fascinating read.