Ferreting in Herefordshire

One of my permissions is a smallholding with a field on a steep bank which has one large Rabbit warren and many smaller ones. The farmer wants them gone ASAP. A friend and I have had limited success over the past 2 months with shotguns and lamping with air rifles, and a typical bag would be 2 or 3 before they go to ground for the night and disappear so it’s not very effective.

Farmer has expressed an interest in ferreting several times but it’s something I know nothing about. He has even recently gone to the extent of getting a hutch to keep ferrets and asked me to speak to those I know in the shooting community to get him some ferrets.

I’d like to hear from anybody local who would be interested in a mornings ferreting to ‘show us the ropes’ with a view to doing more in future/ as required. If you want to know any more, or think you might be up for it, please just ask.

Thanks

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Dan

I did see this morning on FB (ferrets and ferreting page) that someone in Northampton area is looking to sell their hole set up including ferrets, or you could ask on that page if anyone is local to your area, they would be delighted to have mornings ferreting.

Unfortunately i don't ferret any more which is a real shame as i used to love getting out.

regards

will  

• 1 year later...

Hi Dan, 

If you're still struggling with them I have some nv gear and am local. Have always had limited success with lamps but nv or thermal would massively increase your bag. 

I can show you some spotters and a mid range scope . 

Would also consider FAC rather than shotguns, maybe even FAC rated air rifle depending on ranges. 

Can come out with just a spotter to give you an idea of how many are about 🤣 

All the best

Darren

• 6 months later...
On 29/12/2019 at 00:12, ReadySalted said:

One of my permissions is a smallholding with a field on a steep bank which has one large Rabbit warren and many smaller ones. The farmer wants them gone ASAP. A friend and I have had limited success over the past 2 months with shotguns and lamping with air rifles, and a typical bag would be 2 or 3 before they go to ground for the night and disappear so it’s not very effective.

Farmer has expressed an interest in ferreting several times but it’s something I know nothing about. He has even recently gone to the extent of getting a hutch to keep ferrets and asked me to speak to those I know in the shooting community to get him some ferrets.

I’d like to hear from anybody local who would be interested in a mornings ferreting to ‘show us the ropes’ with a view to doing more in future/ as required. If you want to know any more, or think you might be up for it, please just ask.

Thanks

Dan

I have some working ferrets and a lurcher pup I would like to start. Id be happy to come out and have a go as I don't have permissions as of yet in this area.