Legal situation

tody27

Hi guys,

One of my mates has started coming shooting with me and he is now at the stage of wanting to buy a shotgun. For some reason ( cant remember what it was :blink: :D ) he would like to keep it in my safe, I am happy to let him but I would like to know if this is legal. He will only be shooting when I do, but it would mean he would have access to my guns.

My feelings is that its not legal, I have heard that you can keep them at the local police station for a small fee- is this true?

any comments would be appreciated :rolleyes:

cheers,

tody

T

Plenty of potential problems here.

It may be simplest if he had his own shotgun cert, and safe, but located at your house.

If you have an FAC you most certainly wont be allowed to go down your suggested route.

You will probably end up going down the joint/shared ownership route, but it could be messy.

You would be best advised to seek advise from the firearms unit at BASC. Have your membership card handy, they may ask you for your membership number.

webber

Tody27,

You have asked for comments and here are mine.

Please forgive my bluntness but I think you must appreciate that what you may be entering into could be a situation, with plenty of potentially serious problems.

The first thing is, have you been letting him have a go with your shotgun ? Unless you own the land you are shooting on or have taken him to an approved clay pigeon shooting club you would probably be commiting the offence of aid and abet no shotgun certificate.

I notice from your details you are 16 years old.

I take it your mate is roughly the same age ?

Have you asked yourself why your mate does not wish to go about this the usual way, and have his proposed shotgun at his house ? Is this merely a whim on his part because you have a shotgun ?

In view of your age do you share your security with your father ? Have you asked him what he thinks about this situation ?

Does your mates parents ( if he is the same age as you ) know about this proposed application ?

It can be legal to share security but .........again I ask you, why is he asking you to do that ?. I agree with Cranfield........I can assure you no Police Force will offer to store firearms under the circumstances you describe.

If he is serious about applying I agree with Webber and think you should be contacting BASC for their advice.

I think you need to know a lot more about your mate and why he is asking this before you even consider this.

Thanks guys,

yes, very blunt Sniper but valid points.

firstly about the shooting bit, When we shoot together we both use air rifles- farmer and fathers rule. He has come on clay pigeon shooting trips with me and my dad for quite a while. At the club he uses their spare baikal.

He is the same age as me. I think the reason for keeping it at my house is so he didnt have to fork out money for a cabinet, also none of his family shoots and his dad didnt want a large drilled in cabinet in the house.

Before I talked to my dad and other organisations ( I was going to contact BASC and county police firearms dept.) I wanted to ask you guys about your thoughts and opinions on the matter. - After your replies I wasnt going to say "ye lets do it" and get on with it, I just wanted a wider picture.

His parents know about the application; after all they need to sign for the certificate and be there while he has his interview. But I am not sure they know much about shotguns. - Obviously my friend should explain to them, and maybe it would be a good idea for his dad to come clay shooting with my father and me- but that is something for him to decide.

Thats all I can think of to say at this time,

tody

Good reply Tody,

I'm obviously pleased you've been thinking it out, before going ahead.

Sometimes on this forum it's not what you ask in a question, but what you leave out of the question, that makes the difference in the answers you get.

If I had known the above, from yourself, I would not have answered so bluntly ....but some things have to be said.

I wish you good luck.

Well said tody, you have obviously thoght things through very well.

As Sniper said, its often the detail left out of question, that hinders the question being answered efficiently.

I think your idea, of getting your friends father involved, is excellent.

That could solve a lot of the issues. :rolleyes:

As you are both under age (as it were) you would both need to have parental consent, they will have to sign the application form.

Keeping a shotgun for a friend is not illegal however the timelimits are rather short, from memory they are seven days and after that you would have to have it on your ticket as well. A shotgun can be on more than one ticket at a time.

He should not have access to your cabinet ie a set of keys as this is an offence. Whilst he may have a shotgun certificate of his own, it still does not entitle him to have access to your shotguns or your dads if you keep yours with his!

Why must he keep it at your house? This may be because a member of his family have a criminal record which would POTENTIALLY preclude him from owning one, I know its guilt by association but there you go and the authorities do have the power to refuse on these grounds.

If the reasons are as stated, cos his dad doesn't want it then I would suggest he wait until he has a place of his own. These are firearms and cannot be left in a mates cabinet, its just not allowed.

Leon

If you have firearms as well as shotguns in the same cabinet then both you and your wife are commiting offences under the firearms act and you are leaving yourselves wide open for prosecution. Whether your FLO is a T**t or not is niether here nor there. My advice would be to sort it out immediately, it could cost you your ticket and your wife a conviction.

This is a very interesting and enlightening thread !

My wife is just applying for her own shotgun cert so that we are legal when she

walkes out with her shotgun on the farms that I have permission on.

(At the moment it's on my cert)

I'm also applying for my Firearms cert at the moment, so I guess, even though I have room in my current cabinet for two rifles, I need to buy a seperate cabinet

for the rifles and keep the keys hidden away from the other cabinet keys ?

Thanks for the replies. Very useful.

Browning- You are correct, you need a seperate cabinet for your rifle. My dad has two cabinets. 1 has his .22 rimmy and the other has our shotguns . The keys need to be a seperate place and I am sure you know already but for those that dont, you need a seperate lockable rifle ammo box. (most are attached to a rifle cabinet)

thanks again everyone,

tody

Browning

If you have a firearms certificate as well as shotguns and keep your wifes shotgun with them and she has access (Keys) she has access to firearms she is classed as an unauthorised person having access therefore an offence is committed. You are quite right, get another cabinet.

Leon Pleased to hear it mate, I bet your decoy is locked away and you have lost the keys, what other reason could there be for not putting piccy's up as you promised?:D?? :rolleyes: :blink:

Thanks for clearing that up for me Col Pol.

Good idea HG.....but then she'll want to start shooting rifles...which means buying more rifles....which meands re-loading for two.....which means more expense....and most important of all she'll want to come out with me and I'll never get "Quality" time to myself ! :rolleyes:

On the matter of people with different licences sharing the same cabinet, I believe I heard once that some police forces allow this to happen so long as the rifles have their bolts removed (and locked away in a place where the "sharer" does not have access to them). Does anyone know if this is actually true?