trevor

trev

Just recently i have been keeping an eye on some peas and they

have started to chit. When should the pigeons start to attack the

field? There was about 30 pigeons on the field but did not return

will there be any sport and when will it be? i have heard that peas

is some of the best shooting is this right? :rolleyes: :blink: :D :(

Antwood,

Would you mind using proper English please.

You don't have to use text abbreviations on here. You're not paying for every word you use !! :rolleyes:

You can let your mind go free and make use of our most wonderful English language.

It took me ages to decipher what you are trying to say, and if I read it correctly, I say if, its not a very helpful answer is it ?

Trevor, your question might have been better put on another section of the Forum.

Its a bit early for chittin' peas round here, but when they first break through, they are very attractive to pigeons.

Some of the best shooting takes place after the harvest.

Give the field a try, at the moment the pigeons are spoilt for choice, which is why they come and go.

Its all about "right time, right place". :lol:

Hi

I went shooting on the peas near me on saturday just gone, but the woodies where also feeding on a strip of clover right next to the peas, only shot 17 as when they where coming into land something scared them off. I tried moving the pattern building a better hide etc, but to no evail.

Whent back to have ago at them again on monday and shot 2 all day??

The last pigeon i shot was full of small black seeds, triangular in shape.

don't know what they are but that must of been where the pigeons where.

The Peas have just started coming through the top of the soil so i am thinking that the pigeons should be there this weekend hopefully.

The Peas have just started coming through the top of the soil so i am thinking that the pigeons should be there this weekend hopefully.

Mallinson, don't hold your breath, my mate and myself were out on acres of peas yesterday that were about 1" high and i had the grand total of 1 and he had 5 .

Plenty of birds in the surrounding trees when we got there but just like on the rape fields this year, they just flew off never to be seen again. :<

:lol:

Mallinson, don't hold your breath, my mate and myself were out on acres of peas yesterday that were about 1" high and i had the grand total of 1 and he had 5 .

Plenty of birds in the surrounding trees when we got there but just like on the rape fields this year, they just flew off never to be seen again. :<

Hi Ernyha

I'll be off out to the peas tomorrow, just got to go out to the garage and take out some dead birds from the freezer and charge the battery for the spinner.

I'll report in tomorrow night, judging by the weather it will either be a nice day or very wet.

May end up decoying on the clover :lol:

trev

I whent to my field today to see what was going on with the peas and

come across about 30 pigeons and looked at what they where doing

i spoted a flight line next to a big oak tree and my 30 pigeons turned to

about 150 plus i could not believe what i was looking at . going to give it

a go tomorrow i will let you know how it goes. :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Rich

I have often shot over peas and the shooting can be pretty spectacular given the right conditions.

Pigeons will feed on newly drilled pea fields picking up the spillage and also during the growth period right up to the time they come into flower and also after harvest.

Your decoy patterns should be the same as for rape and the use of a rotary will draw them in.

If the pea growth is higher then stake out your decoys between rows or use a longer stake so that they are higher off the ground and more conspicuous.

It pays not to shoot a newly sown field too early but give the birds chance to find it

and they will keep coming back. They can inflict some terrible damage on shooting peas, preferring to peck off the succulent shooting leaves of the young plant.

I have found that pigeon will feed on peas earlier and later into the day and have taken some good early evening bags in late april between 5 and 8.30 before they go off to roost. I cannot tell you about shooting over peas after this date because I generally put my guns away during the breeding months of May to July as the rape and spring drillings are well into growth and damage by the birds is not significant during the summer months unless they have found wind laid wheat or barley to rip into.

good luck.

FM.