Barn owl box

30-6

My farmer friend has the privilege of having a barn owl take up residence in an open fronted shed. I want to make a nest box to try to get it to stay, but am unsure of the distance between the bottom of the entry hole and the base of the box.

I seen a suggestion of 18 inches, which seems excessive to me. Will the young if it is used to nest be able to get out ?

11 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

I seen a suggestion of 18 inches, which seems excessive to me. Will the young if it is used to nest be able to get out ?

The 18 inch is a minimum, to keep boxes inexpensive, up to 3ft deep is still fine as it's more important to keep the chicks in (i.e. from falling out or trying to fledge too early).

See the Barn Owl Trust for box designs.

https://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/

Another thing suggested was to leave some sort of smallish hole to one side so that debris will be pushed out with normal movement to help keep flies away. Good idea or no ?

Also, a couple of perches and ledges to let any chicks excersise, while allowing them re- entry.

As above,see The Barn Owl Trust site,I built a box for a similar location largely off their plans and mounted it inside the apex of the gable .Two yrs later we have tenants who have produced young ,so fingers crossed !!!! We`re monitoring them with a trailcam which has already taken some good snaps.