Seal Cull

red_stag88

sharp shooter, I,m sure the "Shropshire" comment, was meant as a joke. :thumbs:

I would see the difference in the seal cull and my position as a "hunter", in that I wouldn,t want to go hunting and club anything.

Yes, I know its probably an efficient and humane way of doing it, but it doesn,t seem like it to me.

Even shooting seals with a handgun, would be like killing myxy rabbits.

They don,t run away, there is no "field craft" necessary, no long difficult stalk.

Just walk up to them laying there and club away, or shoot them.

The fact that most of them are pups, is also a factor.

Its culling, or fur gathering and probably necessary for economic and fish protection reasons..

But, its not hunting.

while the seals account for 125,000 tons of fish annually

I suspect this is peanuts compared to the volume of Fish, molluscs and crustacians ( seals eat tonnes of these as well) taken by the factory ships NTTF.

I agree with a cull if warranted to preserve fish stocks and to provide a valuable food source for the indiginous races as required and appreciate that the seal is a resource which can be harvested like beef or lamb.

But, like it or not, many of these pups are being clubbed for their pelt and nothing more. If this were not true why not kill the adult seals before reproduction and when the meat and blubber content of the adult is at a maximum.

I appreciate you have a serious problem in the fishing industry off the Canadian East Coast, not disimmilar to many of the inshore fishing fleets of Cornwall and the North East Coast. The problem is we are a greedy race and will harvest the seas until stocks are depleated and then look for a scapegoat. Seals eat fish so it must be them. What about the Dolphin or Porpoise which consumes millions of tonnes each year ? How shall we manage them? I have never seen a porpoise skin coat though.... How strange. :thumbs: