I.5 inch punt gun by George Sherwood, Portsmouth. Help!

mudpatten

Whilst doing some confirmatory research online I unexpectedly came across a reference that I had not seen before despite considerable research into local gunmakers. In 2014 Yorkshire auctioneers Tennants sold a 1.5 inch percussion punt gun in fairly rough condidition. Originally valued at much less, it sold for £2.200 so may have had some life left in it. It bears the name of George Sherwood, a Portsmouth gunmaker who was in business up until c1843. I`m particularily interested in tracing the whereabouts of this gun for historical research purposes. Has anyone seen it? Is it your gun? Regards, Nick.

1 minute ago, mudpatten said:

Whilst doing some confirmatory research online I unexpectedly came across a reference that I had not seen before despite considerable research into local gunmakers. In 2014 Yorkshire auctioneers Tennants sold a 1.5 inch percussion punt gun in fairly rough condidition. Originally valued at much less, it sold for £2.200 so may have had some life left in it. It bears the name of George Sherwood, a Portsmouth gunmaker who was in business up until c1843. I`m particularily interested in tracing the whereabouts of this gun for historical research purposes. Has anyone seen it? Is it your gun? Regards, Nick.

Have you got a picture from the catalog?

Sadly beyond my technical ability but the catalogue pic is only of the guns lock/stock and does not include the barrel for some reason.

I`ve just tried to do a link to the catalogue but thats not working either. I originally googled "George Sherwood,Portsmouth gunmaker"  and scrolled down to "Militaria and Ethnographica", and then down a few guns in the first page of the displayed catalogue - if that helps!

My partner in research has located the current owner of the punt gun and the actual story behind it is highly unusual. The iron barrel, it is`nt damascus, is that of an Indian rampart gun which was brought back to the UK early in the 19th century. It probably started life as a match or flintlock but this was removed and replaced by a percussion lock bearing the name of George Sherwood of Portsmouth. The question is, did Sherwood convert it to a punt gun? Sherwood himself was in debtors prison in 1845 and died a short while later so it might be that the gun found it`s way back here, to some unknown corner of the UK, where it was converted to a punt gun which just happened to utilize a lock randomly bearing the name of Sherwood. The research continues!