Pond feeding

team tractor

On the shoot I ran down in Herefordshire we had three duck pools and as we only visited once a week we tipped about five bags in a pile on the waters edge on the shallowist part. Hardly ever failed to have some sport.  I was invited to shoot duck in Denmark and my host took me to a spot close to the edge of the small lake just before dusk. He then walked onto a very large heap of wheat, at least three or four tons and kicked some into the water.  In the next hour I emptied a box of shells he had given me and we carried about 30 ducks back to the truck.  His three labs did the picking up and when I walked over to him at the end, he was standing in a pile of ducks.  So, as Cjbram says, both are but NEVER let food run out.  You seemed to be feeding a fair few swans yesterday as well.

36 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

On the shoot I ran down in Herefordshire we had three duck pools and as we only visited once a week we tipped about five bags in a pile on the waters edge on the shallowist part. Hardly ever failed to have some sport.  I was invited to shoot duck in Denmark and my host took me to a spot close to the edge of the small lake just before dusk. He then walked onto a very large heap of wheat, at least three or four tons and kicked some into the water.  In the next hour I emptied a box of shells he had given me and we carried about 30 ducks back to the truck.  His three labs did the picking up and when I walked over to him at the end, he was standing in a pile of ducks.  So, as Cjbram says, both are but NEVER let food run out.  You seemed to be feeding a fair few swans yesterday as well.

We had 50 Canada too nev . The swans appear every year and we find a few dead every year where we have seen them fly into the wires . They really are silly things and then the fox has them . 

we put loads of feed in but the cows are still there too and quickly ruin it . 

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

We had 50 Canada too nev . The swans appear every year and we find a few dead every year where we have seen them fly into the wires . They really are silly things and then the fox has them . 

we put loads of feed in but the cows are still there too and quickly ruin it . 

Your damned if you do and damned if you don't.  The cows leaving calleg cards around the edge of the pond not bad either as it instroduces insects, worms etc., which ducks also enjoy.  With your patch being subject to flooding then the muck gets submerged occasionally all good stuff for ducks to enjoy BUT then of course you don't waste them you EAT them don't you:yes::sick:.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Only problem with bank feeding is, it encourages vermin.

Oh no 😂. I wish really but I haven’t even rabbits . Rats would be a nice change 

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Your damned if you do and damned if you don't.  The cows leaving calleg cards around the edge of the pond not bad either as it instroduces insects, worms etc., which ducks also enjoy.  With your patch being subject to flooding then the muck gets submerged occasionally all good stuff for ducks to enjoy BUT then of course you don't waste them you EAT them don't you.

My mate loves eating Canada’s . We have nothing wasted on this shoot as you know nev . 
shame I can’t see me shooting it much this year.

• 2 weeks later...