Do you grease you chokes??

BigGun1

You can buy purpose made choke lubricants. I use chrome moly grease. It always pays to loosen, then tighten, the choke tubes after each outing, just to check they are not sticking. After cleaning, and greasing, always run a patch down the bore to get rid of any excess grease.

I use gun oil or light machine oil,

I oil the threads of the choke and the choke tube itself, i then run the finger i have applied the oil to the tube with inside the barrel threads and choke recess.

When i first bought my SH OU one of the chokes was stuck, well i cracked the tiny bit of rust so it started to unthread - very grindy (hence i got it at a good price) i got it out with no damage so vowed never to let it happen to me

My chokes are never that tight, I can get them out easily with a tapered key, they don't have knotches so that is just as well.

I shot yesterday with a mate with 425 Browning who can't get his out, he tried putting the key in a vice, and snapped the key :P

So be warned, don't overtighten them, and put a drop of oil or a dab of grease on them when you put them back in.

I put Hoppes 9 Dri-lube on my chokes. It sprays on in liquid form then evaporates to leave a dry residue that can't burn off like oil can. Once it's dried on the tube (about 15 seconds) it also can't run down the barrels so stays exactly where it's put. It also works very well on the slide rails of semi auto shotguns and the hinge pins of break action guns. Because it doesn't attract particles of dirt etc like oil does (because it's dry it isn't sticky) I feel it's better for these jobs. A light smear of oil on a hinge pin with a couple of bits of fine grit or soil in it pretty much turns it into grinding paste with use :P