It's been a strange week

This week has been strange in many ways. It started last Saturday when DB and I set out to find some birds to shoot, sorry to find some crops to protect. We went to the main farm that we have been protecting and had ceased shooting for a week to let the birds get into a routine again. As we were scanning the one field from the yard the farmer came to have a chat and confirmed that not shooting it in the week he had seen a good number on all the fields. He then proceeded to inform us that two lads who asked to shoot it some weeks back but were informed that we were the shooters had volunteered to purchase some rope bangers and put them round the fields??

We agreed DB to shoot the small field behind the farm and I would look at the other fields but the farmer would be fertilizing during the morning also. We then set off to look at the other fields , as we did we passed a Land Rover in one of the gateways this was the two guys who had just put a rope banger on one of the small fields. We had a chat and I asked if they would be shooting and they said they would not shoot the land as we were the shooters but they did mention  that they shoot the next farm.

To cut a long storey I set up twice on fields that had evidence of at least two rope bangers in the gate ways and ended the day with 22, I may have helped DB as he had 67.

All week that has been gnawing away in the back of my mind.   Did they put out the rope bangers to move the pigeons onto the next farm after being rebuffed by the farmer??   

On Tuesday night I had a request for twenty fresh pigeons and as I had planned to go out it fell into place with exception of the weather rain all day. This farm previously I’d had two one hundred plus bags but now it was covered with gas guns. So I was set up for 09.00 after watching birds flight over the field while I set up and up to 12.00 I’d had three birds . Then the return flight started and I finished at 16.00 with 46 Soaking Wet.

IMG_2129.jpg

100_3582.JPG

Glad you got your crop protection facts right as per GL rules :good: , and I also noticed you are back laying the bag out the Brummie way , I take it the traditional  Norfolk way was very short lived , was it because it took to much time to achieve the correct look :lol:

Nice report P C and THANKS for posting .

We’ve got a contractor/farm manager who’s obsessed with pigeons on the rape and puts out rope bangers/kites regularly and scares them off etc. 

Nice guy but then wonders why we struggle to make good numbers as they never get a chance to get into a comfortable routine. They still eat the rape in the same numbers when they can but become impossible to shoot. 
The other chaps were clearly dismayed at not being allowed to shoot the land so would rather no one shoot any there I would say, and are trying to gain more shooting on their land by pushing the birds off of yours. A little underhand I’d say. Perhaps you should offer to return the favour when you see any on their patch?  
Still, as usual you did the job and shot some pigeons pc! 
I shot a small block of rape yesterday the chap I spoke about above looks after, but can’t put bangers on due to location and shot a nice steady 42. They came in the afternoon though and very unusually for me on rape the pigeons came in up until 16:30. 

12 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

We’ve got a contractor/farm manager who’s obsessed with pigeons on the rape and puts out rope bangers/kites regularly and scares them off etc. 

Nice guy but then wonders why we struggle to make good numbers as they never get a chance to get into a comfortable routine. They still eat the rape in the same numbers when they can but become impossible to shoot. 
The other chaps were clearly dismayed at not being allowed to shoot the land so would rather no one shoot any there I would say, and are trying to gain more shooting on their land by pushing the birds off of yours. A little underhand I’d say. Perhaps you should offer to return the favour when you see any on their patch?  
Still, as usual you did the job and shot some pigeons pc! 
I shot a small block of rape yesterday the chap I spoke about above looks after, but can’t put bangers on due to location and shot a nice steady 42. They came in the afternoon though and very unusually for me on rape the pigeons came in up until 16:30. 

We’ll done