Filters

steve_b_wales

Personally,I prefer not to use filters, but adjust the amount of white light on the target.

On the occasions I have to use a filter, it's an amber.

There has been quite a bit of debate on this subject in the past.

You could try putting "filters" into the search facility and taking a look at the results.

i think it also depends on where and what youlamp,and how good your eyesight is. ive been lamping with many diff people and they all wil agree ,that i will and can spot a fox at 200 yds plus even amongst sheep with red filter.some places ,might not need a filter,but farms i shoot on ,rabbits and to some extent foxes are quite shy to lamp,and red filter does help,other colours might aswell mind,i am so used to red filter now,everything seems to briite now with out it.think it all about if you need to use it or not ,and getting practice with it too. :blink:

I never go out lamping without a red filter (rabbits not foxes) the eyes stand out like beacons, and if your lamper holds the beam just off the quarry they will sit there for a good while.

The land I currently shoot over has another shooter who also uses red, and I have feeling they are seeing a bit to much of it, so I have just bought an amber filter as they are supposed to cut through mist a bit better as well.

I only went out once without a filter on this land, and everything within about 400 yards legged it as soon as we hand a quick shine round!

Very topical, my new amber filter arrived today from Clulite.

It is smaller than my red one so it doen't pop in or out, it just falls out :blink:

Quick phone call the them to get a bigger diameter one, only to be told my lamp is so old they will send me a new housing AND a new red filter free of charge.

Top quality service from a very professional ENGLISH (a rarity in itself) company :blink:

I found red light is remembered as a clear signal to scarper if its been used before: the only time quarry see it is when they or their buddies are being shot at. Quarry seems to stay around longer with white light if they are used to seeing car headlights and such like coming moving about.

The dimmer seems to be more productive for me, especially if I only light up the distance I shoot at rather than several times further. I personally think it's unwise to buy one of the big **** lamps unless you are shooting centre-fire distances - or unknown locations.