those bloody tree rats

oneshotkiller

I have found the best thing with tree rats is to see where there activity is centred around. They have favourite runs in trees and trees they like to climb etc.

YOu can stake these out and wait to pop them off when they stop for a breather, which they do quite regularly.

Another method if you spook them, is that when spooked they will circle the trunk and sit tight on the other side, so throw a stone beyond the trunk and they will think you have passed due to the nouse and come back round your side to hide, the rest is up to your pellet delivery. Sounds whacky but its true!

Failing that even when on the move they can't outpace the shotty!

:blink:

A reel of string or fishing line helps with squirrels when they start hiding behind the tree. Place your coat on a bush or branch and tie the string to it, then walk around the other side of the tree and sit still/hide. Pull on the string to make your coat shake on the bush and the squirrel will return to your side of the tree and sit still waiting for you to follow (not knowing you're already there). :blink:

a long shot,i was walking in woods a week or so ago,spotted a fox,so started squeaking ,to try and stop or call fox closer,to no avail.after about 10 mins calling a squirrel came running down tree and sat about 10 yds in front of me,bang let him have it as i guessed the fox had heard me before i spotted him,and he was making good his escape before i saw him.so try a bit of squeaking,never know ,might interest them,make sure your camoed up face an all if you can :blink:

As a young trainee gamekeeper, me and the boss had it down to a fine art. We would ride the quad bike through the wood, me on the front rack, him driving. (Obviously this is not allowed for health and safety reasons so DO NOT follow this advice! :rolleyes: )

When we located a squirrel on the ground, we would drive up to it, and it would promptly run up a tree. I then jumped off, and ran around the other side while the boss got the gun off the clips. As the squirrel ran back round, he would nail it. This was shotgun work though. The woods were nice and open with deciduous trees and we accounted for 60 odd in my first two weeks.

So my advice is, take a friend!

Best is too work in pairs.. so a take a friend with you, this way they arnt safe either side of the tree :rolleyes:

Trouble is if you have lots of trees packed together they will jump from tree to tree so this method doesnt work.

In this situation try and chase them toward a tree which is too far from other trees so they cannot get any further. This way you got them cornered and you can then use the normal method described by me and the others!

:rolleyes: I have just read your post on getting the grey squirrels,and in reply to your question i would say it is worth trying peanuts.

Not the salted or roasted kind but the normal plain ones you can get as wild bird food.Spread them around in the places you know the tree rats

frequent and within range of suitable cover and eventually they should start coming in to them.Make sure they can be easily seen (naturally).

It may take a while for the greys to start taking to your bait, but once they have learned where you put it they usually keep coming back to it

provided you bait the correct place and do it regularly as they are creatures of habit.

Of course you need to do some reconnaissance first to find the right place ,and it helps if you crush the nuts up before you put them out but

leave a few whole ones in there too.Good hunting,and let me know how you get on.

went out to my shoot tonight which is over run with greys spotted at least 15 tonight and i only managed to get one :blink: does any one have a idea how to make them sit still ? also have tried stalking them but its been met with mixed results can you set up a hide and bait them? <_<
what type of gun do you have?my air shotshells make tree rats easy.£7.50p for 50 and they reload too.

regards nik