Investment for kids

markm

8 hours ago, eddoakley said:

Your last sentence is a dream for me.

Treat tenants well and keep rent below market value and they still have no decency or loyalty as soon as they get a chance to screw you over.

And renting becomes harder all the time with landlords seen as the enemy and poor old tenants just victims.

But overall, in terms of being able to make a plan I completely agree.

I guess its just something I've been mulling over while deciding what to do.

I'm 43 and decided that I've had enough of doing all the work, dealing with all the (expletive) staff and sometimes clients and seeming to come out of it with less than anyone else so I've just packed it all in and retired. I've enough income to pay the bills but I can't be stupid. I don't have to do anything but I've worked hard for 25 years and it's only been a few months and I'm looking at what to do. I've a few options and once my son is in school full time I'm sure I'll do something.

Property to develop is hard to find and getting more expensive and difficult to do plus I've completely fallen out of love with the building industry and see it going downhill very quickly soon. I still have a few staff in other businesses but this is the 1st time in 25 years that I've not employed anyone in construction yet I'm still asked every day to look at work.

I'm thinking of building some camper vans but prices of vehicles are through the roof. 

I have the option of some surveying and consulting that isn't too bad a thought but hardly excites me. So at the moment I'm enjoying time with my son and step son (and the mrs) fishing, shooting, camping and generally taking life easy. But I'm sure it won't last and I'll need to do something and that's where the thoughts about selling property came in. 

Reality is as you said, plans aren't worth making as there's always something changing. Roll with it and hope for the best. Sit tight for now.

That’s classic doldrums. It happens. I talk to lots of people and the consensus is everyone needs a reason to get out of bed and once you reach a point of meeting basic needs you need to do something that scares or excites you. 

A mate of mine will when he’s feeling flat get a loan out / over spend (eg daft new car, move to a bigger house, home extension) so he has ‘the fear’ again, and it’s the fear that drives him to get back to work and stuck in again because now he has to 😆

6 hours ago, Mungler said:

That’s classic doldrums. It happens. I talk to lots of people and the consensus is everyone needs a reason to get out of bed and once you reach a point of meeting basic needs you need to do something that scares or excites you. 

A mate of mine will when he’s feeling flat get a loan out / over spend (eg daft new car, move to a bigger house, home extension) so he has ‘the fear’ again, and it’s the fear that drives him to get back to work and stuck in again because now he has to 😆

That would frighten the cack out of me 😄

7 hours ago, Mungler said:

🤣😅 well I certainly won't be doing that!!!

Never been one for over spending.

Have an extension on the house that's just gone to planning so that'll keep me busy. My boat is getting a refurb and I have a few bits to do with that before hopefully getting some decent fishing. New car next month but thats never really been my thing as I would rather drive one of my vans or trucks. 

There is a new business in the pipeline but not sure that it will involve me too much. As I said, in the meantime doing the things I've not really done in the past 25 years.

Apart from going into the garden with a mate who was discussing the extension I've not left the house today. Just me and my boy chilling out and playing. I just never made time for that before instead always worrying about work and what the staff were upto.

But back on topic....if the op has 40k to invest for the kids, even with the market as it is I'd look at a buy to let property. 

They may be a bit of work at and at times very frustrating but bricks and mortar is one of the safest investments ever. If there is money left over from the rent then maybe invest that each month if you wanted something different or pay it off the mortgage.

Back to nerf guns and cartoons..

Edd

12 hours ago, Mungler said:

Weirdly or worryingly I can totally relate to that

2 hours ago, LondonLuke said:

Weirdly or worryingly I can totally relate to that

Me too. Nothing motivates quite like debt even if it’s artificially induced or there is actually no debt over the totality of the whole. And who doesn’t like treating themselves or spending money? 😆

Edited by Mungler