Bolton area

6 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Someone told me that approx’ 20% of the total UK pigeon population is shot each year. I don’t know whether this is an accurate estimate…..? However, there would certainly be a significant population boom of woodies if stubble shooting ceased. I imagine DEFRA are all to aware of this. 

P.S Thank you MM for clarifying the pie situation…..😁

I believe there is already a population boom , as one member pointed out in another thread , at one time a cold Winter would do more harm to the Pigeon population than any amount of shooting , this might be because the Winters seemed that much harder , less serious Pigeon shooters about and very little o s r grown .

Now with this so called climate change , milder Winters and a abundance of feed to get the Pigeons safely through a Winter , you have only got to look at the state of the Pigeons we shoot on the February roost shoots , fat as butter and in perfect condition , 

I also believe the lack of demand for the shot birds have also boosted the pigeon population , those who shot the very big numbers will no doubt still shoot Pigeons but in very reduced numbers , you would also think that on a Saturday afternoon in the height of the stubble shooting you would hear other shooters having a go on what was a nigh on perfect day weather wise to shoot some pigeon , if you did think that then you would be wrong if you were out with me today , apart from a mate of mine who was on some rape stubble I never heard another shot anywhere and believe you me there were a lot of Pigeons about .

I remember talking to a ole farmer one day after I had shot a good bag off some laid Wheat , I told him there shouldn't be many going back now on his Wheat after they had a bit of a hiding , he said don't you believe it boi , every one you shoot there will be two that go to it's funeral :lol: , now it could easily be three or four :good: 

19 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I believe there is already a population boom , as one member pointed out in another thread , at one time a cold Winter would do more harm to the Pigeon population than any amount of shooting , this might be because the Winters seemed that much harder , less serious Pigeon shooters about and very little o s r grown .

Now with this so called climate change , milder Winters and a abundance of feed to get the Pigeons safely through a Winter , you have only got to look at the state of the Pigeons we shoot on the February roost shoots , fat as butter and in perfect condition , 

I also believe the lack of demand for the shot birds have also boosted the pigeon population , those who shot the very big numbers will no doubt still shoot Pigeons but in very reduced numbers , you would also think that on a Saturday afternoon in the height of the stubble shooting you would hear other shooters having a go on what was a nigh on perfect day weather wise to shoot some pigeon , if you did think that then you would be wrong if you were out with me today , apart from a mate of mine who was on some rape stubble I never heard another shot anywhere and believe you me there were a lot of Pigeons about .

I remember talking to a ole farmer one day after I had shot a good bag off some laid Wheat , I told him there shouldn't be many going back now on his Wheat after they had a bit of a hiding , he said don't you believe it boi , every one you shoot there will be two that go to it's funeral  , now it could easily be three or four :good: 

You raise some interesting points. Wouldn’t be surprised if the population was on the increase.