DIY Portable Plasma cutters , ?? , Any info appreciated, ideal with inbuilt air compressor ,

oldypigeonpopper

Lincoln do one that cuts up to 10mm for around £2k     and a hypertherm for £2.5k cuts 16mm...............the measurements are probably a severance cut.

Without an inbuilt compressor they are more around £500......R_Tech and that sort of thing.

39 minutes ago, wyn said:

Lincoln do one that cuts up to 10mm for around £2k     and a hypertherm for £2.5k cuts 16mm...............the measurements are probably a severance cut.

Without an inbuilt compressor they are more around £500......R_Tech and that sort of thing.

Hello, thanks, I was looking at DIY models up to £200, with inbuilt compressor 

How thick do you actually need to cut OPP?

My DIY machine (no name Chinese) will comfortably do about 6 mm, severe maybe 10.

If you truly need to cleanly cut 12mm that’s firmly not DIY machine territory & at that point probably more economical to buy a separate compressor too. Or just have whatever shapes you need CNC cut on as-needed basis & keep a smaller machine for the lighter stuff.

58 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Try Lidl. They were selling a very decent one for £120. I saw one in a store last week, although i bought one a few months ago. Mate who is a welder says they are very good.

Hello, thanks, I missed out on these, think a different model and £150 ? Parkside PPSK 40 A1 , 

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

How thick do you actually need to cut OPP?

My DIY machine (no name Chinese) will comfortably do about 6 mm, severe maybe 10.

If you truly need to cleanly cut 12mm that’s firmly not DIY machine territory & at that point probably more economical to buy a separate compressor too. Or just have whatever shapes you need CNC cut on as-needed basis & keep a smaller machine for the lighter stuff.

Hello, about 12 mm max should do most jobs on the farm, I would prefer one with integral compressor 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Unless the little DIY machines have come on that much in recent years, I’d take the cutting capacity with a large pinch of salt.

I googled the manual for the Lidl machine, it might claim 12 mm but that’ll be severance cut which won’t be clean, and it’ll be slow and wear out the consumables quick.

Remember too, it’s not like a welder, where essentially (at diy/farm level at least) you can ignore claimed max thickness and just lay down multiple beads. A plasma will either cut it one pass or it won’t at all. You can’t “work your way down”. Not if you want a clean edge anyway.