Anyone good at tyre dot codes?

Dave-G

6 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

It looks like week 30, 1986 and whilst nearly new is ancient.

Has it been a spare tyre and basically never used?

Yes apparently, on a rear door, its a Dunlop ST20 which I thought is quite a modern tyre. there are still new ones listed for sale at high prices.

I was thinking more about the DOT code which I thought showed dates of production.

Edited by Dave-G

Sorry twas FB: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/740770590246988

The intention was to buy this as well so a matching pair with an extra wheel could double up, then my pair of winter tyres could come off in the summer one in the boot as a spare and one out back.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1300508720710204

Its very good of you to take the time for this. :good:

Edited by Dave-G

8 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Dunlop has this info on their site and while it does appear strange it does look like 1986 !

Thanks for that, I'm not saying that's wrong but according to what I found online, pre year 2000 date codes were apparently three letters.

It could well be that Dunlop initiated this type well before the others. I'll give both of them a miss unless I can find out for sure.

EDIT: New information.

I got the seller of the other tyre (with the new wheel) to send me a photo showing his dot date which is in a different more conventional format - so thanks to the now improved information I think it may now throw doubt on what was previously thought to be Dunlops date marking.

I know tyre vendors like to get people to replace tyres regularly - just like mattress sellers lol. The tyre has barley been used so won't have had to deal with any load or speed stress. The seller has said he'll send a photo showing the date this evening.

So what do people personally think about using 06 ish build tyre(s) on an X-trail that wont be doing high speeds, loaded up with family or distance, mostly local town plus occasional golf course fairways and grazing fields. My instinct is to go for it allowing me to use two of my brand new winter tyres to be swapped with the all seasons in summer - with one as the boot spare... at a cost of about £100 including a new wheel - which will be tarted up like the other two shown. 

Well a retired bloke has to have a project to plod around with. :)

Tyre date.jpg

DSCF2286.JPG

Edited by Dave-G
Correction