Online banking

30-6

On 29/10/2022 at 14:21, 243deer said:

I have received payment by cheque 4 times recently, the lloyds mobile app is invaluable for being able to pay cheques in without having to go to town during banking hours although I do feel a bit guilty about helping to reduce branch banking jobs

You're not doing that, the banks are by forcing these decisions on us.

11 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

At present a move towards a cashless global society for all is currently being given serious consideration more than ever by the global powerhouses who make and also enforce the centralised financial legislation for a greater proportion of the globe. These are the international monetary fund (IMF), the world central bank, the world economic forum (WEF) and the financial action task force (FATF), oh and lets not forget the SEC in America. To this end many countries are considering the development of a 'central bank digital currency' (CBDC) which would be a cashless digital centralised currency. The bank of England is considering the benefits and risks to developing a cbdc digital pound. At present the pounds in your bank are numbers only, they are a promise to pay the bearer the demonination pounds in fiat currency, so that is in paper or coin if you drew it out of your account from the hole in the wall. Some of the proposed benefits of a cbdc would be faster border payment and reduce liquidity risks. The bank of England says if it rolls out a digital cbdc pound it would serve as a compliment to the traditional fiat system and not a repalcement at any time soon.

Sound great doesn't it?

Lots of questions need to be answered re privacy and who will increasingly have access and control of your money so let us wait and see what the proposals will be.

Central goverment and bank of England say we don't like your political ideology, account zapped at the press of a button  Just stop oil activists, insulate britain activists account zapped  As form of social control it may sound very, very far fetched , China has started using a digital yuan, not with great success but already proposing the ability to freeze and sanction cbdc accounts of individuals and groups it sees as unfavourable. It already has a social point scoring credit system that can affect the individuals ability to travel, gain employement and do business.

Could we see something like this used as a form of social control at some time in the future.

Link for bank of England cbdc

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/research/digital-currencies#:~:text=to contact us-,What is central bank digital currency%3F,a computer or similar device.

Tin foil hat time. 

Then we have the development of the proposed 'brics reserve currency' which is the most terryfying monster for the sec in America, the IMF and the european central bank among many others, the brics system directly aims to 'dedollarize' the global financial system as most countries hold their monetary reserves in the dollar.

brics currency is made up of the Brazilian Real, the Russian Ruble, the Indian Rupee, the Chinese yuan, the South African Rand

Apologies for the waffle!

Happened in Canada.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

You're not doing that, the banks are by forcing these decisions on us.

Fortunately we still have a Post Office within a couple of miles and they will transact money in and money out to our bank. How long that will last I don't know.

Don't get me talking about that idiot the Canadians voted for, it will get me banned permanently for bad language. 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Tell yer what would be a job Walker, if the pound was no longer in your pocket and everything was done with a flick of a card , How would you get on at the end of a shooting day and you go in the game larder to receive your brace of birds , what do you put in the keepers hand when it is time for the golden hand shake ? , I know our ole keeper still thought we were in pounds shillings and pence up until a few years ago , and as for on line banking , I don't think he ever had a bank account :lol:

All keepers would have to have a swipe machine.

The push for a CBDC has IMHO very little to do with high street banks closing unprofitable branches.  The reason for the latter is quite simply lack of demand. After all, just what, exactly, does one need to go into a branch for in 2022?

Last time I went in to one was in 2021 to transfer a house deposit from my account to the solicitors', so far in excess of my daily limit.  After verifying my identity to ensure I wasn't being scammed they still had to call a central call-centre and the whole process took an hour an a half.  Waste of everyone's time, I could've done the same at home.

As for CBDC, the implications of it are vast. I suspect if some of the usual suspects on here understood the true scope of its potential, they'd be calling people warning against it 'conspiracy theorists', as the Guardian/BBC haven't told them the party line on it yet.  I must be getting cynical in my old age. 

Anyway, one thing is for sure, CBDC is coming, as its biggest enthusiast within government is, uh, Rishi Sunak.  

6 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

The push for a CBDC has IMHO very little to do with high street banks closing unprofitable branches.  The reason for the latter is quite simply lack of demand. After all, just what, exactly, does one need to go into a branch for in 2022?

Last time I went in to one was in 2021 to transfer a house deposit from my account to the solicitors', so far in excess of my daily limit.  After verifying my identity to ensure I wasn't being scammed they still had to call a central call-centre and the whole process took an hour an a half.  Waste of everyone's time, I could've done the same at home.

As for CBDC, the implications of it are vast. I suspect if some of the usual suspects on here understood the true scope of its potential, they'd be calling people warning against it 'conspiracy theorists', as the Guardian/BBC haven't told them the party line on it yet.  I must be getting cynical in my old age. 

Anyway, one thing is for sure, CBDC is coming, as its biggest enthusiast within government is, uh, Rishi Sunak.  

BUT I ised to call my bank manager and go down and have a cup of coffee whilst the trasaction was being sorted.....as said, the good old days but present youngsters have no ability to communicate face to face, that is of course if they can draw their faces from the mobile phone screen but for a moment.