Straightening a bolt handle

foxbasher

Afternoon all. I've got a parker hale 1200 deluxe in .243 and the bolt handle sweeps up at quite an angle. It comes really tight to the scope when fully open and I would like to have it straightened out a bit to give more clearance. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith to do this in the hants area 

Many thanks fb

Oh Lord! I used to have the jigs and punches and heat sink here to do that either by cutting off and welding on a new one or the old method of putting in an milled "clamp" then heating and hammering the thing. I sold them maybe now eight, ten years ago plus here on SD. Both sets to the same SD Member. Including some handles.

I cannot recall who and long deleted that message thread. But maybe they are still a member?

FWIW the cheapest option is in fact to use a three inch diameter circular grinding wheel and grind the top face of the handle "arm" to give enough clearance. It'll take not even five minutes. Can be done at home little by little and needs neither welding nor heat. It is what I did with my Bennie Laubscher 7x64.

For the issue with welding or heating and hammering, even with a Mauser 98 bolt as on the OP's Parker-Hale rifle is heat transmission. Yes a Mauser locks at the front but the bent and third safety lug is at the rear and close to the bolt handle root. It is a load of faff. Wet rags, barrier paste. Plus the bolt is a controlled component part so unless you are present at every minute it has to be an RFD that does the work. 

Edited by enfieldspares

Is that a standard PH bolt handle as the knob looks enormous on the picture.  Personall I would carefully take a disc grinder and profile the inside of the ball to give you sufficient clearance.  I broke a nice custommade handle on one of my rifles and had it welded back on by the custom rifle maker...well he refused to do it himdself but had a pro welder do the job and he had to do as said to stop as much heat transference as possible. That was on a Parker Hale action.

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Is that a standard PH bolt handle as the knob looks enormous on the picture.  

Yes. What he says. But there's no harm in flatting the bolt handle anyway and the "round" underneath is what matters. Indeed on the British Lee Metford carbine I believe the bolt was flatted (as a wear reduction/easy withdrawal from a rifle scabbard measure) from the get go. See this video from 2:30 onwards.

Edited by enfieldspares