2 barrels for 1 gun

ky322

I’m after some advice, I have a Beretta 682e which I am more than happy with. It seems to really suit me and I get on well with it.

However, I am starting at looking to shoot DTL at the local club this year and am wondering if I can get a pair of trap barrels to go on my original action. So ultimately can change between the 2 disciplines by just swapping barrels? 

does anyone else do the same? If so what is likelihood of picking up a set of barrels?

thanks in advance

andrew

I have a Beretta S57 with two sets of barrels.  The extra set came with the gun. 

• The original barrels (numbered to the gun) are 28" 'game' with a mid width matt game rib and choked 1/4 and 1/2 I think.
  • The additional barrels (different number) are also 28" but 'skeet' with a broader rib and choked both very open

My understanding is that the additional barrels were ordered 'with the gun' which has a single case taking both sets.  Proof is Italian I think (can check later if needed).  Because the barrels are the same length, the gun handles similarly and I don't notice any difference on the rare occasions I have fitted the skeet barrels.

I also have an AyA s/s with two sets of barrels. Again the extra set were obtained by a previous owner. 

• The original barrels (numbered to the gun) are 28" 'game' with an AyA game rib and choked 1/4 and 1/4 in standard proof.
  • The additional barrels (different number) are 30" but full and extra full with a slightly raised matt rib and are 'superior' (1200 kg I think) proof.

The additional barrels (made by AyA) were ordered after the gun came to the UK which has a UK made single case taking both sets.  Proof is (standard) Spanish on the original barrels and an additional Birmingham (superior pressure) proof on the additional set, with both sets of proof marks on the gun action (in other words reproofed in B'ham with the additional barrels).  Because the extra barrels are the longer and heavier, the gun handles differently and I don't normally use the 30" barrels as I don't need that degree of choke, nor do I like the extra weight.

Remember that 'trap' guns usually have a higher comb and other 'fit' differences.  I don't shoot DTL seriously, so can't really say if that would bother me (or you), but you need to consider that.  My guess would be that a separate dedicated trap gun would be easier to source as 'proof' would be an issue fitting non original barrels