From the sublime to the ridiculous!

kitchrat

After my epic Wednesday (thanks for all the +ve comments!) I got called back to the Juicy Rape mentioned as a 35-bird day. There were a good number coming back, not all committing very well, and maybe I didn't shoot as well, but I ended up with another 40. Not bad on winter rape, so I thought I might be getting the hang of the game after 40 years! On the way home I found another badly-drilled field of wheat, straight in where the rape had failed. Lots of birds on the top end.

It's a difficult field, 900 yds long, top and bottom absolutely no cover, bridleways, horses etc. Left edge, townies in big houses “”hedge maintained for wildlife” etc.

So I opt for a bit of cover in a ditch between some trees and bushes, wind (fairly strong) will be part on back, only have to get my gear from the farm access road through the ditch and about 100 yds down. Quite a few flying about when I arrive.

Set the decoys downwind so they have to pass me. One bird arrived FROM downwind while I'm building the hide and flares away, so I move the pattern back a bit.

After about 20 mins, one or two tiny groups arrive, head for the pattern then flare away. I don't think they saw my hide. Try to photograph a red kite who shows more interest in my pattern than the pigeons are. A single bird arrives and leaves as I'm looking at the (poor) photos!

The main groups(s) arrive and throw themselves onto the bottom of the field as if their lived depend on it. Shots only make them get up and down. Damn, so I drive all the way round and set up scarecrows, flags, a dummy hide and a kite, truck in a gateway and walk back to the hide (half-mile +), carrying gun of course.

An hour goes by and only the odd bird shows up and semi decoys. I'm thinking of packing up and the rain starts. So I walk down the field in the rain and pick up my scarecrows etc. The rain turns to hail. My kite is knotted up. On the drive back, the rain become a downpour so I stay inside!

Rain stops and the sun comes out for me to pack up in, but, my worst nightmare, 500 birds had turned up and throw themselves onto the bottom of the field as if their lived depend on it. Shots only make them get up and down.

Plan B- take a flapper, drive down there and lie under the hedge. They have a look, don't like it and flock off. Drive back to the top and, you guessed it, they are all at the top of the field laughing at me as I drive by, they just get up and down, until I get out of the cab and they flock off again. I get back into the hide for 35 minutes, see nothing and pack up. Ended with 4 for about 20 shots but at least 10 of them were attempts to lift the birds. Back home to entertain you with a report (I hope) then off roost shooting, thinking “Same again tomorrow??” I hope not!

Cheers!

field.jpg

IMG_20230225_095934_8.jpg

15 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Hi kitchrat could I ask about the condition of the pigeons you have shot . I have been shooting pigeon over rape for four or five weeks, they are healthy and (plump) for the time of the year. My friend took a few pigeons today and said they were good birds . 

All fat and healthy, not really hungry which is partly why you can't predict them, I guess.

15 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Great report of an inventive day, they never go where you want them to do. You stuck at it , well done.

The next day was no better, either, shot 5 out of a large flock on a huge field of rape.