Crimp, roll or other finish

Thanks to help from Bernard and some others I am nearly ready to load some 12 bore  70 mm steel loads.   The only thing I haven't got but can borrow are tools to finish\close the cartridge off.

I will only be loading about 100 goose carts per year so don't need anything fancy and am happy to it all by hand but still need to find a suitable way of closing the carts up.

I could get a Lee loadall press for £70 or so and that would also help with de priming and priming and resizing etc.

I could get a RTO tool at £40 but would then need a stand for my drill so another £25  so about the same as the Lee Loadall but with out the benefits of the priming and resizing etc

Looking about on the internet there are a few youtube videos of folk "field loading" carts and they finish the cart by placing an overshot card on and then waxing or glueing it in place.  This is okay for SxS and OU but maybe not for Semis and pumps due to the cartridge length.

Has any body tried the wax or glue seal method?  is it safe?  What does it do to pressure etc?

Cheers Flipper

I use my roll turnover tool for 410 in an ordinary drill without a stand and it works fine ,but if it’s just 12 ga you could pick up one of the old vintage roll turnover from eBay or such like some do a lovely job also if your going to reuse the cases probably better to fold crimp as a roll crimp can be difficult to re use .

I tried the glue method on some 410  cartridges and i got signs of over pressure (flattened primers) maybe i just used too much glue i use  pva wood working glue, i will cut down on the amount of glue for the next batch and see how that works.

• 2 weeks later...

RTO in a hand drill works well.

the glue and card method is a well used system in brass cases and I think you’d be hard pressed to exceed the pressure of a 12 bore fold crimp and finish tool with it. I’d guess that a 410 would be more likely to over pressure with the extra weight in the payload and reduced diameter of the case. A thin glue along the edges of a 12 bore case is proportionally less than the same bead on a 410 over shot card etc.

I have loaded thousands of cartridges on a Lee load all. I also use a Gaep crimp finishing tool. I have a modified piece of PVC pipe for very consistent crimping in 3 inch and I’ve shortened it to load 67mm cases as well. I could not ever see me buying a different 12 bore press unless I was loading hundreds per week and wanted a progressive.  I’ve already bought a second hand load all in 16 ga just in case I ever get a 16 bore gun!  I only wish they made them in more calibres.  You’ll never feel like you wasted your money if you get one.

Staggeringly good for the money.

C2C1E2AE-3E9C-4F2E-8C1D-4022F4885C23.jpeg