Another scope advice question please 🙏

harrycatcat1

A while ago I bought a .177 SMK new pcp with scopes, bag and a tin of pellets for just over 200 quid. I like the gun however the scopes are none adjustable and I think my eyes as I get older are getting worse.

I am thinking of upgrading my scopes to something adjustable which would accommodate a pard night vision this coming winter for shooting rats.

My questions are what magnification and make scopes would you recommend for squirrels, rabbits and rats?

How much would you expect to pay second hand? I've never been known to chuck my money about? 💰

I thought some of the scopes come with a lifetime warranty so why buy new? Comments please.

Hello, your need a low magnification AO or side focus scope, 3x9 4x12 , once you have set the Pard 007 to the scope you use the pards focus adjustment, Hawke will always be my first choice,, a side focus is easier than AO to adjust in the dark but nothing wrong with AO,  I used a 3x12x50 SF, I recommend a lighter 40mm front lens scope for your PCP, your need to move forward the scope so a rubber stock extension helps, you could buy a new AO for £100, another thought is Hawke have a good eye adjustment diopter, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, your need a low magnification AO or side focus scope, 3x9 4x12 , once you have set the Pard 007 to the scope you use the pards focus adjustment, Hawke will always be my first choice,, a side focus is easier than AO to adjust in the dark but nothing wrong with AO,  I used a 3x12x50 SF, I recommend a lighter 40mm front lens scope for your PCP, your need to move forward the scope so a rubber stock extension helps, you could buy a new AO for £100, another thought is Hawke have a good eye adjustment diopter, 

Hawke vantage model 14123 about £100, optics warehouse have a 3x9x40 AO Fastmount £60 with mounts,

12 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

You use the scopes P/A to focus the Pard.  The adjustment on the Pard is to focus the details in the display, battery life etc.

16 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hawke vantage model 14123 about £100, optics warehouse have a 3x9x40 AO Fastmount £60 with mounts,

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/wulf-fireball-3-9x40-sfp-non-illuminated-half-mil-dot-rifle-scope

This one ?

To be honest I am a complete novice choosing scopes and it seems double Dutch to me so please work with me on this.

Would this suit my requirements?

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/wulf-fireball-3-9x40-sfp-non-illuminated-half-mil-dot-rifle-scope

Edited by harrycatcat1

Most (if not all) of the lower cost scopes are fine.

As said you will need a side focus or parallax adjustment and a low base magnification with a 50 or 56mm objective lense to get the best benefit.
There are 2 PARD007's the 12mm and the 16mm.
The 16mm has a 2.14 base magnification and the 12mm a 1.61 times.

If you have a 4-12x50 scope with a 12mm PARD007 fitted you will have a 6.4-19.32x50 scope,
the 16mm version will give you a 8.56-25.68x50 scope

Ideally you should go as low a base mag as you can find to maintain the widest angle of view possible when shooting vermin at the shorter distances dictated by your air rifle.
[That's a mouthful of a sentence but hopefully you know what I mean ... ]

21 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

This one ?

To be honest I am a complete novice choosing scopes and it seems double Dutch to me so please work with me on this.

No you want side PA so your hand doesn't obscure the IR when you are trying to focus, front PA will drive you mad.

Edited by Weihrauch17

55 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

This one ?

If you looking at an AO scope my money would be on the Hawke Fastmount, and your PCP is very light so you do not want to over balance with a heavy scope and the 007,, a side focus scope is more adaptable but not necessity 

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

No you want side PA so your hand doesn't obscure the IR when you are trying to focus, front PA will drive you mad.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p103335-nikko-stirling-mountmaster-4-12x50-ao-rifle-scope-nmm41250ao/

Is this side adjustable? How do you tell?

Edited by harrycatcat1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231388800990

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285342653821

Plenty more on the Bay of E....

2 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

No, that is a AO scope (Adustable Objective lens)

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there are alternative add on night vision where you can use any scope, a screen type ? , I presume your existing scope is basic with no adjustments, does it have a diopter ? 

It's a bog standard sight with no adjustment. I want to be able to adjust the sights to make it clearer not blured sometimes. I reckon its my eyes getting worse 😳

Edited to say I think the pard is easy to put on and take off, I understand 👍 

Edited by harrycatcat1

All of the scops we (collectively) have pointed you at (including the PARD) have dioptre adjustment on the eyepiece (occular assembly).

The Nikko scope you have picked will work very well with a PARD, however, being AO you need to strech to the front of the scope to adjust the parallax focusing and this will likely block your light source making it more difficult to focus quickly.
It may not, you may develop a technique that works for you.

I (personaly) prefer a side parallax adjustment, my mate prefers AO.
A PARD is a 'screen' type. You need/must have parallax adjustment to focus your target with all add-on night vision.
It's either built into the NV scope itself or it's not. In the case of the PARD007 it's not built in, so the scope must have it.

10 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

It's a bog standard sight with no adjustment. I want to be able to adjust the sights to make it clearer not blured sometimes. I reckon its my eyes getting worse 😳

Edited to say I think the pard is easy to put on and take off, I understand 👍 

Hello, the 007 is pretty straight forward to set up once you set for eye sight, a screen nv add on can be easier to use and you do not need AO or side focus, if you scope has no diopter adjustment there is a way to sort that but maybe better to get a new scope if your looking at the 007, with front AO or side focus once you set up the 007 you rarely need to adjust each time, as I mentioned in previous post your rifle is light and you do not want a bulky night vision set up and you would need extend rifle stock and scope with high mounts so your eye alignment will be better looking through the 007 and scope, there is an alternative , day and night scope, a Sytong HT 60 can be bought around £300

56 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the 007 is pretty straight forward to set up once you set for eye sight, a screen nv add on can be easier to use and you do not need AO or side focus, if you scope has no diopter adjustment there is a way to sort that but maybe better to get a new scope if your looking at the 007, with front AO or side focus once you set up the 007 you rarely need to adjust each time, as I mentioned in previous post your rifle is light and you do not want a bulky night vision set up and you would need extend rifle stock and scope with high mounts so your eye alignment will be better looking through the 007 and scope, there is an alternative , day and night scope, a Sytong HT 60 can be bought around £300

I will check it out thanks 

5 hours ago, miki said:

All of the scops we (collectively) have pointed you at (including the PARD) have dioptre adjustment on the eyepiece (occular assembly).

The Nikko scope you have picked will work very well with a PARD, however, being AO you need to strech to the front of the scope to adjust the parallax focusing and this will likely block your light source making it more difficult to focus quickly.
It may not, you may develop a technique that works for you.

I (personaly) prefer a side parallax adjustment, my mate prefers AO.
A PARD is a 'screen' type. You need/must have parallax adjustment to focus your target with all add-on night vision.
It's either built into the NV scope itself or it's not. In the case of the PARD007 it's not built in, so the scope must have it.

Thanks for this advice 🙏 I am still processing the information, I've not had any experience of telescopic sights or night vision before. I've always had shotguns never had rifles before the smk apart from a BSA Meteor when I was 11, 55 years ago 😳🤣