Registering an old lorry

Fargo

Bought a 1978 Bedford lorry today I found in a barn a year ago

Lived all it’s life in Malta until five years ago when brought over 

Owner died and has no v5 as not registered in the U.K. 

Anyone any knowledge on what I need do to register it to the U.K. and get a v5?

Try this Use the V55/5 form to register a vehicle that has been registered before. Many types of vehicle can be registered using this form, for example an imported or rebuilt vehicle.  Taken from here ,  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-a-used-vehicle-for-the-first-time-v555

Edited by Andy H

Join an owners club or vintage one, they will issue a dating certificate then send it to dvla, there is a special form but the club should tell you which one and it's £55 pound, try not to tell them it's been imported it might  have some import duty to pay, again ask the club, good luck. 

Edited by Nublue 22
Spelling

You could be in for a whole world of fun with this and by fun I mean brain melting idocy from the dvla. A mate of mine works as a trustee at a museum and they aquired an American fire engine, it was the one used in the film World War Z and was used in shooting in Glasgow.  It was disposed of after shooting and the new owner tried to register it as it was in good order. After months of no progress he gave up and donated it to the museum and this is where the fun started.  No duty had been paid on it, no idea how but there you go, so they contacted HMRC. After a load of faff they located some shipping info and let HMRC know. From what I remember HMRC said it's ok we don't want anything for it. Result! Then the DVLA got involved. They wanted all sorts of info, shipping manifest of it comming in, duty paid, paper work all sorts. They had to take it to a dvla site to prove it existed, remember when local offices were still a thing, for the inspector to not turn up. Then they got a letter saying it didn't exist as the inspector hadn't seen it!  It got so stupid that after months they disposed of it as it was using too much time trying to sort it out and they were going round in circles with the dvla! I think it got broken for spares.

Also be aware that there have been changes about driving  large vehicles. Yoy should check with the DVLA that your licence is correct for the vehicle. The museum had to get one of the staff a HGV licence due to restrictions, If I remember right he can drive to a show and back on a standard licence but if he needed to fill up he cannot go the night before to do it. No trips with kids in the back as it is classed as hire for reward and as the vehicles are over 40 years old they don't need an mot but...... they do need inspections if it is static then every 6months, i think, but if they are driven then its every 6 week! I am probably worng on a few details but it pretty close. And the rules apply to private owner not just museums

On 16/07/2023 at 19:46, Lord O War said:

You could be in for a whole world of fun with this and by fun I mean brain melting idocy from the dvla. A mate of mine works as a trustee at a museum and they aquired an American fire engine, it was the one used in the film World War Z and was used in shooting in Glasgow.  It was disposed of after shooting and the new owner tried to register it as it was in good order. After months of no progress he gave up and donated it to the museum and this is where the fun started.  No duty had been paid on it, no idea how but there you go, so they contacted HMRC. After a load of faff they located some shipping info and let HMRC know. From what I remember HMRC said it's ok we don't want anything for it. Result! Then the DVLA got involved. They wanted all sorts of info, shipping manifest of it comming in, duty paid, paper work all sorts. They had to take it to a dvla site to prove it existed, remember when local offices were still a thing, for the inspector to not turn up. Then they got a letter saying it didn't exist as the inspector hadn't seen it!  It got so stupid that after months they disposed of it as it was using too much time trying to sort it out and they were going round in circles with the dvla! I think it got broken for spares.

Also be aware that there have been changes about driving  large vehicles. Yoy should check with the DVLA that your licence is correct for the vehicle. The museum had to get one of the staff a HGV licence due to restrictions, If I remember right he can drive to a show and back on a standard licence but if he needed to fill up he cannot go the night before to do it. No trips with kids in the back as it is classed as hire for reward and as the vehicles are over 40 years old they don't need an mot but...... they do need inspections if it is static then every 6months, i think, but if they are driven then its every 6 week! I am probably worng on a few details but it pretty close. And the rules apply to private owner not just museums

Amazing, all this red tape and rules, just for an old vehicle in this country, he should just say it’s come over on a Dinghy, job done.