Rearing season, day olds

This year has been a tricky one. We have about 1000 day olds in 2 sheds for our diy shoot. When we first got them the weather was very hot here in Cornwall so regulating the temperature was a right pain but we managed, the chicks then had some sort of infection around starve out day 3 / 4 by the time we got the medication into them we had lost about 50. In the days to follow we were picking up 5 - 10 chicks per day for about a week. The medication kicked in quickly which obviously saved a hell of a lot as we would of lost most if not them all. The hot weather continued to be a pain in June then the last 2 weeks have been fairly wet, so not ideal rearing conditions. The birds now are looking very good and ready to go to wood. I had organised a work party to de-bit, clip, crate and release into the pens on Saturday but the forecast is heavy rain all day, so have had to cancel. We are now releasing on Monday so obviously most of the guns at work so a few of us to do everything.

It just shows year to year how things can change, we done everything exactly the same as all the other years but this season has just been the worst I have experienced. How full time Gamekeepers do it is beyond me, I find it very stressful and my job is not on the line.

For the first time I have questioned if I want to do it again next year or just buy Poults but this would mean a lot less birds released or subs increased a hell of a lot.

• 1 month later...