Pike Attack

yates

16 hours ago, ditchman said:

at one time the Broards were the Mecca for catching heavy pike during the winter..........dont know what its like now ....anyone ??

Yes, I know about the broad's history; I have a number of books relating to the subject.

Prymnesium (algal bloom) rears its head every so often, killing large numbers of fish; the large numbers of otters now present have a major impact, as has the illegal taking of fish by non natives. Broadland it not what it once was, but you can never right it off.

Many years ago I was fortunate to see an original photo, inscribed on the back, of Peter Hancock's former record from Horsey, of 40lb 1 oz.

John Goble had a fish of 45lb from the Thurne system in 2009.

I did hear tell, (I believe it was in a book that I once read) that a pike fishing contest was held on the Broads. Two contestants, who were American airmen from a nearby base, were fishing from a boat. One hooked into a large pike, and when they eventually got it alongside of the boat, they were shocked at the size of it, and probably wisely decided that they didn't want it in the boat with them, so cut the line.

10 hours ago, Penelope said:

Yes, I know about the broad's history; I have a number of books relating to the subject.

Prymnesium (algal bloom) rears its head every so often, killing large numbers of fish; the large numbers of otters now present have a major impact, as has the illegal taking of fish by non natives. Broadland it not what it once was, but you can never right it off.

Many years ago I was fortunate to see an original photo, inscribed on the back, of Peter Hancock's former record from Horsey, of 40lb 1 oz.

John Goble had a fish of 45lb from the Thurne system in 2009.

Several decent fish have no doubt ended up on the dinner table caught by the E U veg pickers that are accommodated around the Broadland area all the year round :hmm: