Shims

steve_b_wales

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase various thickness shims? I've got a HIKMICRO Thunder set up and to attach the unit as a front add on, they supply various thickness self adhesive rubber strips. This is certainly not ideal to maintain zero if removing and refitting the unit. There is a collar/reducing ring made by RUSAN which is good but this comes at a price (approx £158) but I found a thin shim which fits around my 57mm scope and the HIKMICRO collar fits snugly without movement. I haven't tried it for loss of zero as yet, as I haven't synchronised it with my scope, but I do know that it's far better than the rubber strips. I plan to use the Thunder as a stand alone scope on my .22 Hornet and an add on, either on my .22lr or .243. 

Any advice etc appreciated.

Edited by steve_b_wales

48 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Steve if its an addon cant you raise the scope with high mounts or am i missing something 

It's to connect the HIKMICRO collar better to the scope. It comes with self adhesive rubber strips which, when I tried them, still alowed the thermal add on to move. I am looking into purchasing a RUSAN QR adaptor and reducing ring, but thought I would try something else first. Further to my first post regarding using a plastic shim, I've now noticed that the add on still moves. Maybe a thicker shim will do the job, but I can see me ending up buying the RUSAN system (which is used with the HIKMICRO Thunder 2 version I've been told.

i see what you mean but that shouldn't effect the zero as its the scope that's zeroed not the thermal or have you got x hairs within the thermal as well if its only to get a better fit then just pack it out 

5 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

It's to connect the HIKMICRO collar better to the scope. It comes with self adhesive rubber strips which, when I tried them, still alowed the thermal add on to move. I am looking into purchasing a RUSAN QR adaptor and reducing ring, but thought I would try something else first. Further to my first post regarding using a plastic shim, I've now noticed that the add on still moves. Maybe a thicker shim will do the job, but I can see me ending up buying the RUSAN system (which is used with the HIKMICRO Thunder 2 version I've been told.

Edited by Rim Fire

3 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

i see what you mean but that shouldn't effect the zero as its the scope that's zeroed not the thermal or have you got x hairs within the thermal as well if its only to get a better fit then just pack it out 

That's what I was thinking to be honest. The thermal add on does have a choice of reticules but as you've mentioned, it shouldn't make a difference as the scope if the scope is zeroed. I'll have a look at the instructions again and see what they say. Thanks for your (and other's)comments/suggestions.

7 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase various thickness shims? I've got a HIKMICRO Thunder set up and to attach the unit as a front add on, they supply various thickness self adhesive rubber strips. This is certainly not ideal to maintain zero if removing and refitting the unit. There is a collar/reducing ring made by RUSAN which is good but this comes at a price (approx £158) but I found a thin shim which fits around my 57mm scope and the HIKMICRO collar fits snugly without movement. I haven't tried it for loss of zero as yet, as I haven't synchronised it with my scope, but I do know that it's far better than the rubber strips. I plan to use the Thunder as a stand alone scope on my .22 Hornet and an add on, either on my .22lr or .243. 

Any advice etc appreciated.

I have a Clive Ward front add on, buy a Russian adaptor they are rock solid.

What Objective is it going on?  I have adaptors for 44, 50 & 56 mm but not sure if the thread on Clive's unit is the same as yours?   If one of mine matches your Objective you could try it.  £100 would buy one, they are all as new.  I bought before Covid and have got out of the habit of going out at night.  ATB John 

2 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

What Objective is it going on?  I have adaptors for 44, 50 & 56 mm but not sure if the thread on Clive's unit is the same as yours?   If one of mine matches your Objective you could try it.  £100 would buy one, they are all as new.  I bought before Covid and have got out of the habit of going out at night.  ATB John 

Hi John. I need a 57mm Rusan adaptor. I'm not sure of the thread size of the HIKMICRO Thunder. There is an option to purchase the adaptor with reducing ring fitted. 

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...