Feeding ducks - 2 questions

Question 1.

I feed a number of flighting ponds. Two work very well as evening flighting ponds but the third seems to be a day pond holding 100+ ducks by day and all gone by dusk.

I am considering putting a timed automatic feeder on the pond to only feed at night to try and change this pattern. Am I being unrealistic?

Question 2.

When feeding I have always put the feed into the shallows and/or just on the bank. I shot a friend's pond last season who had a normal barrel feeder with a pan/tray type outlet on the bottom. The feeder was sited on the bank probably 2-3m from the water. The flight was successful so this seems to work. Has anyone any experience and pros/cons of using this method?

Many thanks, GBS

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

I would suggest if you have 2 to shoot and 1 to hold the birds i would not alter anything

We scatter as you do and also have a feeder on the bank

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I agree. I would leave the holding pond alone. It sounds like you have a perfect set up.

I should have explained that the two ponds are 5km apart (as the duck flies). The holding pond is much bigger than the other two. I have found some decoys down there which might be interesting to try. GBS

1 hour ago, GBS said:

I should have explained that the two ponds are 5km apart (as the duck flies). The holding pond is much bigger than the other two. I have found some decoys down there which might be interesting to try. GBS

Hi GBS - still not far that as a duck flies

By trying to getb this pond to flight you may lose the flights on the others 

On 08/08/2023 at 19:02, GBS said:

Question 1.

I feed a number of flighting ponds. Two work very well as evening flighting ponds but the third seems to be a day pond holding 100+ ducks by day and all gone by dusk.

I am considering putting a timed automatic feeder on the pond to only feed at night to try and change this pattern. Am I being unrealistic?

Question 2.

When feeding I have always put the feed into the shallows and/or just on the bank. I shot a friend's pond last season who had a normal barrel feeder with a pan/tray type outlet on the bottom. The feeder was sited on the bank probably 2-3m from the water. The flight was successful so this seems to work. Has anyone any experience and pros/cons of using this method?

Many thanks, GBS

Have used 45 gallon drums with letter box openings x3 in the sides, about 3" from the bottom, on a couple of concrete blocks, we fed barley and wheat, they worked well.    Placed them about 6 feet from the edge, on a bank that gave easy access, and return to water.