.223 Foxing rifles

SidneyG

I know there have a propbably been many threads on what guns are paticularly suited to fox control.But, Im hoping to get my Fac, have put in for a 223 for fox control. I know its jumping the gun a little (no pun intended) but I cant help window shopping on the web for a suitable rifle. Common sense leads me to the more conventional hunting rifles, but being a bit of a millitary annorak, I really fancy a straight pull AR or Steyr aug. What I really want to know is what are these rifles like in the field as a working tool. Are they better as range guns or do they make a viable option in the field? Or should I go for a Steyr tactical elite,kind of sits between the two in my twisted mind? Any info will be appreciated. :unsure:

There's nothing wrong in going for something different but.......

If you buy something conventional you will have none of the anxieties and misgivings that you currently have, plus there will be a host of people anxious to let you know if you do get any problems.

It's a bit like buying a 'different' car - you will have pride of owning something rare, but inevitably the service costs will be higher and the resale value definitely iffy unless you can find someone else out there wanting something different. Also, the end result (accuracy) will probably be no better - at best.

Sorry to not be more encouraging, but I've been there, and it can be a very expensive road.

Don

go on buy an ar15 :unsure: lovely rifle probally not the most practical for foxing but a class piece of kit :blink:

Couldn't agree more ;)

I love mine :)

They don't have to heavy, get someone who knows his AR's and he will build exactly what you want.

If you decide to go the AR route pm me and i'll give some names and numbers of builders i know of.

This the beauty of the AR rifle platform it has an endless amount of variations and add ons available.

post-1679-1193515451.jpg

go on buy an ar15 :unsure: lovely rifle probally not the most practical for foxing but a class piece of kit :blink:

Couldn't agree more ;)

I love mine :)

They don't have to heavy, get someone who knows his AR's and he will build exactly what you want.

If you decide to go the AR route pm me and i'll give some names and numbers of builders i know of.

This the beauty of the AR rifle platform it has an endless amount of variations and add ons available.

as borat would say "nice" would love an ssr-15 speedmaster 1 in 12 twist

the .223 is approx 7 7-1/2 kg most of that weight is in the barrel. its a stainless kreiger match barrel. it has been fluted to try and keep the weight off it but it is stilll heavy. its in 1 in 8 as well.

the .22 is a baby at 4kgs. very versitile.. coupled with a night vision scope its fantastic.

post-260-1193644431.jpg