A few facts.

Scully

I’ve been looking at this argument (sorry discussion…or debate… ? 🙂) for a while. Here’s my two penneth.
Gun safety - regardless of auto/non auto safety catches - is much less complicated than in many of the aforementioned comments. That is to say a gun is safe when open, and dangerous when it’s not. In addition it mustn’t be pointed at another human (or dog) AT ALL. An autosafe catch gives a little extra protection in the field, but mustn’t be wholly relied upon. That’s it really. There isn’t a great deal more to it. Most of us are acutely aware of these basic principles. This is what I drum in to new starters and they are more than happy to be reminded. 

The biggest safety problem in our community is careless muzzle sweep - which is noticed but often not addressed. It should be! These perpetrators demonstrate the greatest potential for tragic and unnecessary accidents - regardless of their safety catch type. For what it’s worth, I have observed this problem equally in both clay and game shooting. 

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

I’ve been looking at this argument (sorry discussion…or debate… ? 🙂) for a while. Here’s my two penneth.
Gun safety - regardless of auto/non auto safety catches - is much less complicated than in many of the aforementioned comments. That is to say a gun is safe when open, and dangerous when it’s not. In addition it mustn’t be pointed at another human (or dog) AT ALL. An autosafe catch gives a little extra protection in the field, but mustn’t be wholly relied upon. That’s it really. There isn’t a great deal more to it. Most of us are acutely aware of these basic principles. This is what I drum in to new starters and they are more than happy to be reminded. 

The biggest safety problem in our community is careless muzzle sweep - which is noticed but often not addressed. It should be! These perpetrators demonstrate the greatest potential for tragic and unnecessary accidents - regardless of their safety catch type. For what it’s worth, I have observed this problem equally in both clay and game shooting. 

Again, I’m not looking for an argument, but I just don’t get the comment about ‘a little extra protection’. 
I can’t think of one instance or any circumstances where a safety adds anything to being safe in the field. I simply can’t. 🤷‍♂️

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

Again, I’m not looking for an argument, but I just don’t get the comment about ‘a little extra protection’. 
I can’t think of one instance or any circumstances where a safety adds anything to being safe in the field. I simply can’t. 🤷‍♂️

Fair enough Scully. My personal opinion is that they may add a little extra layer of limited protection, but not much. That’s just my opinion - of course others are entitled to theirs. However, like you, I have very little trust/faith in the value of auto safes as an absolute solution. My main emphasis: elimination of dangerous muzzle sweep is far more important. In fact it is vital. 

3 hours ago, Fellside said:

My main emphasis: elimination of dangerous muzzle sweep is far more important. In fact it is vital. 

I am sure nobody does dangerous muzzle sweeps and points their gun at anyone on purpose. 
It is just so darn easy to do unconsciously. When distracted for instance, perhaps by conversation. 
It is up to every one of us to minimise this to the point of eliminating it completely. 
If only that were possible.

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

I am sure nobody does dangerous muzzle sweeps and points their gun at anyone on purpose. 
It is just so darn easy to do unconsciously. When distracted for instance, perhaps by conversation. 
It is up to every one of us to minimise this to the point of eliminating it completely. 
If only that were possible.

Yes I think that’s the ‘gold standard’ which we all need to reach for. To be honest, if muzzle awareness and safe direction become a habit, it’s normally sorted. It’s the people who have virtually no muzzle awareness at all which cause most alarm. We’ve all seen those from time to time.