Which 6.5 x 55?

flytie

I keep reading article on Yank websites about the popularity of the calibre in the USA, but you could have fooled me, if the big manufacturers don't produce rifles in 6.5mm.

Could be worth considering regarding getting hold of ammo/reloading.

I'm planning to buy a Mauser M-03 Extreme in 6.5x55mm.

Seems to be an excellent choice from what I've heard and read (Shooting Sports Oct), a bit out of my range though. I'm still havvering between a Tikka T3 and a Styer Mannlicher.

ft

I keep reading article on Yank websites about the popularity of the calibre in the USA, but you could have fooled me, if the big manufacturers don't produce rifles in 6.5mm.

Could be worth considering regarding getting hold of ammo/reloading.

Ammo?

Federals come from the States, PPU somewhere nasty can't remember where

Which surely brings us round to my original point?

:good:

6.5x55 cartridges are freely available in the UK, the calibre is increasing in popularity all the time, it is in the words of my 'local' gunshop it is a Standard Calibre now.

The fact that American rifle manufacturers don't make many(any?) guns in 6.5x55 has no baring on the fact that American cartridge manufacurers make plenty of ammunition.

The fact that American rifle manufacturers don't make many(any?) guns in 6.5x55 has no baring on the fact that American cartridge manufacurers make plenty of ammunition.

Fair enough. At the end of the day it's always going to be down to supply and demand though - I was simply pointing out that the market for 6.5x55 must be tiny compared to other calibres if not many people shoot the calibre in the US - which may (at some point) put the calibre in jeopardy.

Fair enough. At the end of the day it's always going to be down to supply and demand though - I was simply pointing out that the market for 6.5x55 must be tiny compared to other calibres if not many people shoot the calibre in the US - which may (at some point) put the calibre in jeopardy.

Chuck hawks has a "winchester mod 70" in 6.5 x 55 i think. Read it on his site, along with comments that it is a calibre that is growing in popularity over there. They seem to like reloading because the factory ammo is mainly for the older rifles so is kept on the soft to moderate side.

Just been offered a second hand (but you wouldn't know that it wasn't new) Steyr Classic Half Stock with 6 x 42 S&B scope, mounts, rings etc for a very resonable sum. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Nice wood, I'm very tempted.

ft.

Just been offered a second hand (but you wouldn't know that it wasn't new) Steyr Classic Half Stock with 6 x 42 S&B scope, mounts, rings etc for a very resonable sum. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Nice wood, I'm very tempted.

ft.

Sounds like a very nice setup! The actions are lovely on the Steyrs and the only thing that is putting me off of them is the plastic stock (or price of the wood versions!). If the gun is good and has a price to match, it may be well worth a look ???

ft.

Sounds like a very nice setup! The actions are lovely on the Steyrs and the only thing that is putting me off of them is the plastic stock (or price of the wood versions!). If the gun is good and has a price to match, it may be well worth a look ???

Passed my safety and shooting test today, only the written parts tomorrow to go. Then when my ticket drops through the door, a shopping I will go :lol:

On the topic of plastic stocks, i used a plastic tikka today which flexed like mad when fitted with a bi-pod. There was a plastic steyr mk2 pro-hunter which was much more rigid. I will say though, just in case Dave Cannon reads this, what a lovely rifle it was :lol: It performed well anyway!

ft

Passed my safety and shooting test today, only the written parts tomorrow to go.

ft

Good luck with the written test .............

Just looking at some of the questions and it's certainly no stroll in the park .Alot of swatting up is required if your totally new to deer hunting .

Have been swotting, just off to walk the dog, then more swotting. If I don't know it now I never will. Fingers crossed ???

ft.

Smart ***! Well done :lol:

More down to the quality of the staff on the course than me :good: i'm afraid! Sill it was a very enjoyable course. We got a gralloch demo and then were allowed to have a go on other deer that they provided. One fallow doe was riddled with TB, we were told this is a big problem in the Cirencester area. The sub maxilliary glands were a real contrast, one normal (about the size of a bean) and the other about the size of a golf ball. Makes you think about being careful with the knife when unzipping the carcass :/

ft.