Canvas Haversacks - Sloane Square!

CaptC

Two used military style haversacks. Marks and light stains but easily washed out. 
One has brass fittings and has straps for carrying on your back. £8 posted 
The other has alloy fittings and has a shoulder strap. Slight wear on top corner. 
Both bags measure 15” across x l2” deep x 3” wide. £7 posted or £14 for the pair! 

Just looked again, the bag with the shoulder straps is 13” deep! !!BAG NOW SOLD!!!

Thanks 

NOTE The haversack with the brass fittings is the one pictured below 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by CaptC

Over 55 years ago I worked in an Army & Navy Store in Leicester, we had many thousands of the these Haversacks and Rucksacks in our warehouse, the majority of them completely new and unused, they sat around for so long we employed some school kids to cut the brass off and weighed it in, the bags were burned. I still can hardly believe it myself...

5 minutes ago, ozalid said:

Over 55 years ago I worked in an Army & Navy Store in Leicester, we had many thousands of the these Haversacks and Rucksacks in our warehouse, the majority of them completely new and unused, they sat around for so long we employed some school kids to cut the brass off and weighed it in, the bags were burned. I still can hardly believe it myself...

Strange how things come back? 

I’m pretty sure haversacks were 7/6d and rucksacks were 15 shillings, so 37.5p and 75p!

When I think back at the ex-WD gear we had, you wouldn’t believe it. It was fantastic working there, I loved it.

Now that brings back some memories from my boyhood . My old Dad along with many thousands of others who worked at the steel works used this exact bag for carrying their pack up and bits and pieces along with the essential tea mashing can . Like this one

billycan-web__88163.png

20 minutes ago, Jega said:

Now that brings back some memories from my boyhood . My old Dad along with many thousands of others who worked at the steel works used this exact bag for carrying their pack up and bits and pieces along with the essential tea mashing can . Like this one

billycan-web__88163.png

Cornish tin miners used those enamel flasks to carry their “tay” underground (deliberate spelling) along with, of course, the fabled pasty. 

Not really a flask, they are called ‘billy’ cans,

My first job in 1967 was an apprentice plumber, the first thing I was taught was how to make tea in one of these billy cans and how to spin it by the handle to stir in the milk and sugar without spilling a drop, I soon became an expert at tea making!

Edited by ozalid

20 minutes ago, ozalid said:

Not really a flask, they are called ‘billy’ cans,

My first job in 1967 was an apprentice plumber, the first thing I was taught was how to make tea in one of these billy cans and how to spin it by the handle to stir in the milk and sugar without spilling a drop, I soon became an expert at tea making!

😐