Camera lens

foxbasher

Evening all, my son has just saved up enough of his Dosh to buy a new camera to progress his photography but needs a lens or two as the camera he bought was "body only". 

He looking for lenses with an FE mount for a Sony camera.

Sorry I hope that makes sense, he's trying to explain it to me but I'm more of a cut it, bash it and weld it sort of guy. 

Any advice or offers please 

If pennies are short to get the expensive lenses he could always get a coupler/converter ring which allows a camera  body to match up with a  different make of lenses.  OR lenses which are the same fit type but a different make.  I have an Olympus micro 4:3rds and about 3 Olympus lenses to go with it  but I got a converter ring to use the old pentax 42mm screw thread lenses.  There are loads/thousands of old lenses of top quality makes from the days of 35mm film cameras. I have what would be thought of as cheap rubbish lenses Eg a Russian helios lens  but it takes fantastic images of butterflies from a distance where they aren't spooked off.  The only consideration is that there is a difference as to the focus point in an old SLR camera and a digital camera like my micro 4/3rd.  The converter ring has to be the correct thickness distance so that the focus point is on the correct plane. Just a starting point.  Have you got deep pockets.

EDIT.  We got a nice digital Sony for one of the grand daughters and i believe that the lenses that she has fit straight onto my Olympus and vise versa

EDIT.  what sort of photography interests him.?

Edited by Minky

Hello,  from what i read Sony Cameras have 2 lens type mounts, A mount, E mount, it should say on the instructions, as minky said you may find a suitable straight fit on lens of another make cheaper or an adapter to take another branded lens of ebay like Olympus , a 24 - 70mm would be a good starter lens, hope he gets sorted, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I have a Sony myself. As allready mentioned they have 2 types of mounting so check first. I found Minolta lens also fit mine BUT they have a different number of contact pins sometimes. That also happens with suitable Sony lens if not specific to my model of Sony. Check with mount type, Google correct lens mount, Google images for a look at the pins then go looking. Apparently the different pins (mine has 9) make no difference to the actual fitting but some camera / lens functions will be lost ie it will work but fancy rocket science stuff gone. Me I'm still confused with the buttons so keep everything simple & basic.

The situation with the lenses connections is correct and when I  use the Olympus lenses the operation is fully  automatic but when I  use the convertion ring with in my case an old  quality good quality lens 42mm in my case you have to focus the lens manually (by using the focus ring on the lens) and maybe using  the apature stop ring.  None of this is difficult and when the picture looks sharp and not too light or dark, you press the button.  It all comes down to being a cameraman and seeing a picture that gives you pleasure and perhaps is something different.   Just take loads of pictures(Japanese tourist style)  for every 100 pictures you might get 5 that are good.  After a while he'll look back through a million pictures and think why the hell did I take that or who the hell are they. Back in 35mm film days you only to9k a few pictures and hoped.  Now you can take lots and just sort and dump.